Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Aug-15 21:45:04
Print Post

Win10 popup

[link to this post]

Is there any way of disabling the pop up that tells me that I need to reserve my copy of Win10/I need to upgrade etc? It appears on every bootup and periodically during the day. I've tried to zap the task bar icon but it's a stubborn little blighter!

Dell Inspiron 15, Win 8.1, IE11
8GB RAM
BT Infinity 2 via HH5
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Aug-15 23:02:25
Print Post

Re: Win10 popup

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

Click the "show hidden items" (just near the date/time) tab on the taskbar then click "Customize... " and then look for "GWX" in the list and set it to "Hide icon and notification".

This works on my DELL Laptop with W8.1.

plusnet user
Standard User Spuriousfish
(newbie) Tue 18-Aug-15 10:48:06
Print Post

Follow option 3 in this tutorial....

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6596-get-windows-...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Aug-15 10:44:56
Print Post

Even when you get rid of it, Ms still seems to try to force you to have Windows 10. I got rid of the notice and the GWX.exe file and then it came back, I found it in another directory and got rid of that.
Had a look on my computer this morning and found two folders, $Windows.~WS
and $Windows.~BT filed with windows 10 set up files.
I did not register, but I was on the insider preview program, but I have done a clean install of my computer back to Windows 8.1, Even so it did not give MS the right to send me a load of files I did not want.l

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Aug-15 11:18:44
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone. I ended up by editing the registry and it's gone. I also removed that update from my installed programmes list. No sign of the icon or pop ups now. Am I alone in quite liking Win 8.1? Just one final question - I was prompted to back up my registry before editing. I did but I can't find the backup file. Where will it be hiding?

Dell Inspiron 15, Win 8.1, IE11
8GB RAM
BT Infinity 2 via HH5
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Aug-15 12:05:37
Print Post

I've done that sort of thing several times, forgotten to note the folder in the folder/filename dialog box so have had to start the process again. Try starting the backup process again and see if it offers a folder & filename box, that should tell you.

Though maybe it doesn't give you that option.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
(learned) Wed 19-Aug-15 17:02:19
Print Post

Just do a search for *.reg and hopefully it will find it. Alternatively 'pretend' to do another save and note the folder that pops up by default, then quit.
(learned) Wed 19-Aug-15 17:08:20
Print Post

Just my opinions of course........

I've been playing with Win 10 for some months now and as I've mentioned elsewhere find it 'underwhelming. It offers me no advantages over 8.1 which I'm very happy with, so I'll not be updating.

MS want to drag you more into their Ecostructure. There are many options within Win10 that you need to consider in terms of what they are monitoring i.e control your privacy.

Cortana - nope I'm not speaking to my machine and having MS monitor it.

Edge - lack of controls for cookies, adblocking and privacy. I'll stick with Firefox + add-ons thank you.

MS Apps - bit like Google or others - 99.99% are useless.

But in reality Win10 will run the programs I have, just as Win8.1 does and I'm not interested in all the other bloat ware Apps. So why bother.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Aug-15 17:54:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by GeoffB:
Thanks everyone. I ended up by editing the registry and it's gone. I also removed that update from my installed programmes list. No sign of the icon or pop ups now. Am I alone in quite liking Win 8.1? Just one final question - I was prompted to back up my registry before editing. I did but I can't find the backup file. Where will it be hiding?

I was not that impressed with 8.1 to be honest, ok it is a bit faster than 7, but it take a while to get it working as I like it. I now use Start is back menu system on 8.1 and more or less got rid of most of the app, in fact I never see the start screen now.
Updating to ten is just more fiddling.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Aug-15 18:02:58
Print Post

[re: Spuriousfish] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spuriousfish:
Just my opinions of course........

I've been playing with Win 10 for some months now and as I've mentioned elsewhere find it 'underwhelming. It offers me no advantages over 8.1 which I'm very happy with, so I'll not be updating.

Same here really and yes you are right, it offers me nothing that Windows 8.1 don't.

MS want to drag you more into their Ecostructure. There are many options within Win10 that you need to consider in terms of what they are monitoring i.e control your privacy.

This is the main thing that have put me off ten, the rest of ten I can cope with, but too much data going to MS even when you think you have stopped it.

Cortana - nope I'm not speaking to my machine and having MS monitor it.

You do not have to speak to use Cortana, but to use it you more or less have to allow Ms access to everything and you need to be logged into your MS account.

But i got no use for it and when I was testing 10, it was disabled anyway as I was using a local account.
Edge - lack of controls for cookies, adblocking and privacy. I'll stick with Firefox + add-ons thank you.

MS Apps - bit like Google or others - 99.99% are useless.

i know extension support is coming in October for Edge, so is integration of Skype into Windows.
I had a lot at the apps and I doubt I would ever use any to be honest, I do not use any on 8.1
But in reality Win10 will run the programs I have, just as Win8.1 does and I'm not interested in all the other bloat ware Apps. So why bother.

i agree, I may update my computer at some time just to register the free update, so if I decided to update to windows 10 in the future I can still get it for free, then I would redo myt windows 8 from the image I got.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to