Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ste699
(newbie) Mon 24-Aug-15 02:28:29
Print Post

Replacing HDD with SDD

[link to this post]

Hi Guys

if I had a system image of windows 10 can I reinstall this image onto windows 7 without loosing any of my files windows live mail / program Files Etc ?
thanks
Standard User TinyMongomery
(newbie) Mon 24-Aug-15 07:38:41
Print Post

Re: Replacing HDD with SDD

[re: ste699] [link to this post]

If I understand you correctly, no. The System Image includes the registry which wouldn't have details of any programs or settings for the Windows 7 machine. If the System Image was from a different computer it would be unlikely to boot (and would not be activated correctly).,
Standard User ste699
(newbie) Mon 24-Aug-15 08:35:06
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

thanks for reply . my problem is I hate win10 and wish to go back to windows 7 so I was going to buy a ssd to install then put win7 on that drive but i don't wont to have to reinstall everything again on win7

I know there was a option to go back to win7 from win10 but this is no longer valid for me

Edited by ste699 (Mon 24-Aug-15 08:55:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Aug-15 11:12:23
Print Post

I am not sure what you mean.
Can you not do a system image of your windows 7 setup, then if Windows 10 is not for you, you can restore 7 from the image.
There is a free bit of software to make images called Macrium reflect,, I have never used it myself as i use Aconis, but I have heard it is very good.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ste699
(newbie) Mon 24-Aug-15 11:29:00
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Hi

ok I have one hard drive in my pc I had 2 partitions one had windows 7 installed the other one had a backup image of window 7 image plus all my files so when I upgraded free from windows 7 to windows 10 me not thinking deleted the second partition thinking I was going to keep windows 10 BUT now I wont to reinstall windows 7 on a new hard drive and reinstall all my files ect from windows 10 to windows 7 well that what I would like to do smile as far as I know you cannot do it from partition using the some hard drive as the one you wish to copy from

is it possible to put a image of my pc to something like cloud storage

Edited by ste699 (Mon 24-Aug-15 11:39:28)

Standard User Moto
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Aug-15 03:39:12
Print Post

So why don't you roll back your win10 to it's previous win7 and then copy the disk to your new ssd.

laugh A friend surfing in laugh
Standard User ste699
(newbie) Tue 25-Aug-15 10:32:50
Print Post

[re: Moto] [link to this post]

I know longer have that option
Standard User spranglebolt
(member) Tue 25-Aug-15 18:34:32
Print Post

[re: Moto] [link to this post]

For some bizarre reason MS limit the roll-back option to 30 days from installation of Win10. Happily I personally was able to roll back without any probs because I did it tout de suite.
  Print Thread

Jump to