Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Aug-15 12:15:22
Print Post

Not impressed by Win 10 Auto-Updating!!

[link to this post]

Got back to my Laptop, this morning, to find that it had Auto-Updated & needed a re-boot - which I duly complied with.

After re-booting, it informed that there were other "important" updates that needed to be installed/completed (presumably before I could get to the jobs that I needed to do on the Laptop), this I duly complied with!

After 2nd re-booting, it informed that there were even more other "important" updates that needed to be installed/completed (presumably before I could get to the jobs that I needed to do on the Laptop), this I duly complied with!

3 re-boots & a lot of downloading before I could use my Laptop!! Just remind me - Win 10 is "meant" to provide speedier start-ups so you can get on with your work, isn't it?

Anyway, thought that I would randomly check on the details of these ultra-urgent (stop-everything) type of critical updates.

At random I clicked on the history of one of them & it was described as:- "update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete list of the "issues" see the associated Knowledge Base article". Clearly, if it "resolves issues", it must be hyper-critical?

As it was KB3081449, I checked up on this:- "This update improves the Windows 10 out-of-box experience"! IOW, there wasn't a single "issue" listed - so it appears that it has absolutely NOTHING to do with "resolving issues" &, hence, I really cannot see why it could be regarded as "Critical" - surely it is simply in the "nice-to-have" category that could have been installed at my convenience??

However, what I think is also interesting is that the KB goes on to say:- "we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update"!

So, according the MS's own Knowledge-Base, it should NOT have been installed until AFTER I've installed any Language Packs that I might need!!

So why didn't it ask me to review & agree the requirements BEFORE Auto-Installing??

NB:- I would also add that the KB makes NO mention of any specific improvement in OOBE, just leaves to vague generalisations!

Regards,
John
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 29-Aug-15 12:48:13
Print Post

Re: Not impressed by Win 10 Auto-Updating!!

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johnjburness:
However, what I think is also interesting is that the KB goes on to say:- "we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update"!

So, according the MS's own Knowledge-Base, it should NOT have been installed until AFTER I've installed any Language Packs that I might need!!

So why didn't it ask me to review & agree the requirements BEFORE Auto-Installing??
They probably expected that anyone old enough to have done the reboots has an appropriate language pack in their brain for use after completion of the updates.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 29-Aug-15 12:53:12)

Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Sat 29-Aug-15 13:59:02
Print Post

I would guess that you've Windows 10 Home installed?? Please see attached LINK

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool...

IF you are indeed to have HOME installed but wanted to have some controls over for MS Windows 10 auto-upgrade!

Hope this link may help!!!

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows 7 Pro !
Current ISP: Plusnet FTTC

Edited by OCdragon (Sat 29-Aug-15 14:00:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 29-Aug-15 15:23:04
Print Post

Best thing is to stay with Windows 7 or 8.1, at least you got more control over updates.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 30-Aug-15 12:39:20
Print Post

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

sadly that wont help, it can only manage updates that have already been installed, so is a bit of a joke of a tool.

win7/8 have updates once a month via patch tuesday and user has full control.

win10 I have on average been getting updates at least once a week which are automated, so disruption is way higher. Last week was 2 updates back to back.

Keeping win10-well away from production machines at the moment.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Aug-15 23:23:50
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
win10 I have on average been getting updates at least once a week which are automated, so disruption is way higher. Last week was 2 updates back to back.

In the last week there has been updates on 6 out of the 7 days!! It really is getting stupid!

Regards,
John
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 31-Aug-15 00:38:33
Print Post

It's called beta testing.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 31-Aug-15 01:08:14
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

That advanced?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57970/13958kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 31-Aug-15 02:08:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I often wonder how they managed to make such a good job of Windows 7.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Aug-15 20:40:13
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
I often wonder how they managed to make such a good job of Windows 7.

How's about 6 years worth of patches etc etc? Might have something to do with it. By the way, Windows 8 and Windows 10 is still far more stable than Windows 7.

AAISP Home::1
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to