Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Sep-15 18:24:39
Print Post

microsoft forcibly downloads windows 10

[link to this post]

Very nice of MS to give people something they may not want

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Sep-15 19:23:27
Print Post

Re: microsoft forcibly downloads windows 10

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

If people don't want automatic updates, then they should turn automatic updates off.

It doesn't even force the upgrade anyway, it just pre-caches the files, woah big crime. And if people can't spare 5GB of disk space then they have other issues, and no, it doesn't affect corporate customers either, before that one is speculated.

A complete non-story.

AAISP Home::1
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Sep-15 22:25:43
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Some people have no idea about Auto updates. some computers do have very small drives, I know someone who have a netbook with a 80GB drive in that is pretty full, it got windows 7 starter on and the windows 10 icon is on it now, If windows 10 downloaded onto that machine, it would fill up the drive and make it almost unusable.

The other thing is data, some people still have limited broadband, look at Sky they offers a 25GB data limit service, BT still offers a limited 40GB service and I expect other providers offer something the same as well. So that 6GB could get someone over their limit.

Also, even with auto updates off, it still comes down, I had the files on my computer a couple of weeks ago and auto updates are switched off./

It seems like Ms can do what they want and you still get people who do not see the problem. MS have no right what so ever to force 6GB of files onto peoples computer, if they wanted windows 10, they would register, also how long do you think it will be before MS start forcing the updates? Are MS so worried that Windows 10, a OS that is not even completed is that bad, that people do not want it?

I used windows 10 as a insider, on a spare drive which have now gone belly up, after using it I think I will stick with windows 8.1, less spying as well. Also at least 8.1 don't normally force updates on you like 10 does.

So it is a story,

I am sure Ms could take control of your computer and you would still think it is a non story.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Sep-15 07:01:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
The other thing is data,<snip>and I expect other providers offer something the same as well. So that 6GB could get someone over their limit.
Some friends of ours, husband & wife each with their own PC, have a 2GB monthly download allowance! He's already inadvertently upgraded to Win 10, an email from him said they'd received an email saying they'd used 90% of the allowance within a week of the month start.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Sep-15 09:06:17
Print Post

I am sure Ms could take control of your computer ...........

Wouldn't be surprised if something like that is buried in the (very) small print for anyone using a MS Windows OS tongue smile

plusnet user
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Sep-15 09:07:10
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
Some friends of ours, husband & wife each with their own PC, have a 2GB monthly download allowance! He's already inadvertently upgraded to Win 10, an email from him said they'd received an email saying they'd used 90% of the allowance within a week of the month start.

2GB is not a lot, but if ti does what they want then that is fine, depending how much they pay for that. Did he download windows 10 by choice? But then, some people just do not understand all this Gigabytes, megabits, Megabytes and other bytes stuff.
Chatting to someone at work a couple of days ago and they was saying that have 55GB download speed, I had to correct them.

I know some people will say everyone should have unlimited these days, but some people just do not need it. I also know a couple on dial up still so how long will it take to update their new laptop on that? Sadly their old 1Ghz computer have gone belly up and beyond help, so they had to get a laptop, reconditioned with windows 7 on. i will have to bring it up here if they want it updated.

What I don't undertsand and maybe someone will help out here, the uninstalled files of Windows 10 is just over 3GB, in fact I just had a look at the ones stored on my USB memory stick and it is 3.65GB, so why when MS force people to download it does it come to over 6GB?

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Benoathes
(newbie) Thu 17-Sep-15 21:41:57
Print Post

It's all about money. This way they are forcing users upgrade to Windows 10, thinking that a lot of people won't do anything about it and just leave it as it is. But how many hidden rocks are behind these, at first sight, harmless downloadings? It's all meant for millions of common users, who never read all these service agreements, terms and policies. Or for those who read, but still can't get through the "thicket" of controversial and vague features. All one can do, is try to read it as carefully as possible and choose only those features that seem comfortable and acceptable for you. All in all, no matter what OS we install on our computer, such big companies like Microsoft will always deal doubly. And the users will be left with firm faith that their passwords are magically protecting their privacy and personal data.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Sep-15 08:48:51
Print Post

[re: Benoathes] [link to this post]

I can understand why Ms want us all to go to windows 10, easier to update one OS than 3 of them, but it will still be years before Windows 7 support is out and even longer for 8.1. Trying to get us to use their apps, buy more apps or flogging advertising space in apps and I suppose in searches done via Cortana and bing.
So yes it is all about money you are right about that.

The problem is MS launched 10 when it was not ready, I know people say it is a ongoing thing and features will be added in time, but some of the features was suppose to have been in 10 before it was launched. Also it got bugs which to be honest should have been fixed before launch, I know that bugs do creap in, but some of them was well known before 10 was launched

I try to use linux for as much as I can these days, Windows 8.1 for video work, because as of yet nothing on linux is up to the mark, saying that Kdenlive is getting there, pretty good for a free bit of software,.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Benoathes
(newbie) Sun 20-Sep-15 20:33:32
Print Post

I agree with you. Moreover, they try to spy on us through everything possible. And yes, Cortana is just one example of how Microsoft harvests our sensitive personal data, including browser history, e-mails, contacts etc., to better serve you. Another "great" feature is getting your personal ad ID, that will eventually help ad network partners choose and send us more annoying ads depending on our preferences and using the information from our browser history and based on our searches. Neither Win 7, 8 or 10 can provide you with full privacy. So, all we can do is always read carefully through all settings and disable any privacy compromising features.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Sep-15 21:32:34
Print Post

[re: Benoathes] [link to this post]

shut up 10 will shut the spying down, you won't be able to use some of the features of windows 10 like cortana,

Going bythis article, people are not really using cortana anyway

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to