Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User samulam
(committed) Tue 22-Sep-15 21:23:49
Print Post

Is Edge browser usable

[link to this post]

I am running win 10 on my both machines. However I find the Edge browser unusable due to lack of adblocking sofrware. I have now resorted to using Firefox instead after using adblock extension. I cannot beleive that Microsoft is not aware of this problem.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 22-Sep-15 22:21:56
Print Post

Re: Is Edge browser usable

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

As far as I know, the Edge browser is a work-in-progress.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Sep-15 08:44:46
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
As far as I know, the Edge browser is a work-in-progress.

And that is the problem, you would have thought that Ms would have made sure it was completed before releasing it. But then they done that with Windows 10 itself.

Edge seems faster than IE, not that it is difficult, but without add ons it is unusable.

I use Iron at the moment, a chrome clone and my add ons are xmarks, click and clean, ghostery and lastpast. Any new browser I use would have to support at least lastpast and xmarks and have a decent add blocker like Ghostery.

I did use Edge a few times when i was using Windows 10, but I think most people will go back to their normal browser to be honest.,

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 23-Sep-15 09:56:43
Print Post

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

edge is probably the worst browser I have ever used.

Microsoft have made a mistake in my opinion by EOL'ing IE whilst edge is still incomplete.

It seems their reasoning is they really want to abandon win32 code, they are moving more and more of the interface in win10 to the modern style interface which is also what edge is.

Personally I think they have commited suicide on the web browser front sort of what Mozilla have been doing and chrome dev's must have had a party with the launch of edge.

Here is my reasoning.

Chrome is supported on all versions of windows, and a user will know the browser isnt been abandoned.

Whilst users on windows vista/7/8.1 using microsoft's browser are now using an abandoned browser, it still has vulnerabilities patched but now is feature frozen which includes security features such as CSP, cipher improvements, and SPDY. Microsoft are trying to use their browser to get people to upgrade windows, which isnt a nice way to play.

Ironically IE's tracking protection was brilliantly coded, extremely light weight and it looks like they abandoned the concept. If you using chrome or firefox I recommend ublock origin over adblock.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4

Edited by Chrysalis (Wed 23-Sep-15 09:57:44)

Print Thread

Jump to