Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Wed 14-Oct-15 10:03:37
Print Post

Make Word 2013 the default HTML editor

[link to this post]

This is a cross post from the TEN FORUM simply because here there is greater activity. Sorry if this causes a problem with anyone.

OK so I have Word 2013 installed and I want it to be the default HTML editor in IE 11 [Version 11.0.10240.16431 loaded].

The Internet Options page for HTML editing on my PC only allows me to choose Notepad. I know my requirement can be satisfied because it has been achieved elsewhere but I can't replicate that success.

So how do I add to the drop down menu WORD or is this desired configuration set elsewhere?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 14-Oct-15 13:11:53
Print Post

Re: Make Word 2013 the default HTML editor

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

It's the same here. However, I've just looked at the next section down in the options - Internet programs >> Set programs >> Associate a file type. If you go into that and scroll down to HTML you see it is set to Internet Explorer. If you look at the options to change that, and open the "More" section, Word figures in the list. As does Office XML Handler if you have that installed.

Try that. I think I've used that method in the past to set PsPad. (Which if you don't know it is an excellent code editor).

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59999/14372kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 14-Oct-15 13:17:26)

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Oct-15 16:25:22
Print Post

I don't know about Word 2013 but previous versions could seriously screw up html code which is why I always use a text editor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Thu 15-Oct-15 11:31:11
Print Post

The question was posed because of a legacy web site which would only operate correctly if Internet Explorer was used and it also required the HTML editor set to WORD. So if you wanted to use that site, then that's how you were required to configure your computer.

But since then computers have been replaced which were preloaded with Windows 10 and an upgrade from Office 2010 to 2013 has taken place.

What is particular interesting is that with the combination of the Microsoft suite of Office programs version 2013, Windows 10 and Internet Explorer set with the HTML editor to blank plus allowing IE to choose the most appropriate program, then somehow or other for this legacy web site, WORD is automatically selected otherwise Notepad is activated. No updating of the legacy web site had taken place.

So the replies received are noted and filled for future reference but for the moment I am a happy bunny with no further responses required.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 15-Oct-15 16:04:26
Print Post

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/default-view-sourc...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 15-Oct-15 20:20:52
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Won't that be exactly what my suggestion does?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 15-Oct-15 20:48:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I was looking more at method 2, assuming method 1 doesn't work.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 15-Oct-15 23:09:21
Print Post

We know method 1 doesn't work. That's the cause of the thread.

I was suggesting my method is the GUI simple way to achieve what Method 2 does smile.

Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Fri 16-Oct-15 07:56:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Regedit is the simple way. tongue
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 16-Oct-15 11:55:20
Print Post

tongue

Print Thread

Jump to