Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Oct-15 14:00:52
Print Post

Windows 7 "Create a system image" question

[link to this post]

I use this feature to create an image from time to time - yes, I'm well aware that there are other products available, that's beside the point.

A question occurs to me as to what is the best way to do it for my system. My drive is partitioned into C:\ and D:\ drives. Should I create an image of C:\, a combined C:\ & D:\, or separate C:\ & D:\ ?

I've never had to use the image(s) but not sure in a recovery how the recovery would cope with partitioned drives. Clearly if I get a complete HDD failure I'd need to recover the C:\ stuff, but what would happen about the partitioning?

My D:\ drive only contains data, and is backed up separately so an image of the D:\ drive really isn't necessary.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Fri 30-Oct-15 18:48:38
Print Post

Re: Windows 7 "Create a system image" question

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Since you have separate backups of your D: drive, you only need to create a system image of your C: drive. If you have a system failure, you can restore the system image and then restore a backup of your D: drive.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Oct-15 20:00:15
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Thanks.

I assume therefore that the restoration of the C:\ image can be to a partition rather than a complete HDD.

Presumably, in the event of an HDD failure and replacement, I'd need to partition the new HDD to make the C:\ drive/partition the same size as the old? The remainder of course to be D:\ drive or whatever.

Edit to clarify my understanding.

Tony

Edited by cheshire_man (Fri 30-Oct-15 20:01:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Fri 30-Oct-15 20:38:30
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
I assume therefore that the restoration of the C:\ image can be to a partition rather than a complete HDD.
It's best to do a system restore to an empty disk. The reason is that the restore utility will examine the contents of the disk and try to avoid any user id conflicts. This can be particularly nasty if there is already another copy of windows on the disk (any disk, in fact). Although the restore will complete, you may find that you do not have ownership of your files because the user id (not the user name) has been changed. There are third-party utilities to regain ownership of your files but why expose yourself to more hassle than is necessary?

I would always restore to an empty disk and ensure that any other disk drives are powered down. Once Windows is bootable, you can fiddle around to your heart's content. I think that the system restore will format and partition your disk for you but I may be wrong. In any case, these operations are available on the rescue DVD (which you will need to create).

Windows backup and restore should just be used to recreate your existing system in event of a hard disk failure. If you want anything more than that, a third-party utility such as Acronis True Image should be used.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx

Edited by micksharpe (Fri 30-Oct-15 20:44:35)

(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Nov-15 21:41:52
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

It's possible that my Windows 7 PC's HDD (~5 years old) is starting to fail. I've had a couple of read errors in the past 2 months or so, they've both been fixed - presumably by marking the sectors as bad.

I've got, and will refresh, images of C: and D: and also copy all the D: files to an external drive. I already have a Windows 7 recovery disc.

So, when I get the new drive and physically install it, and power down the current drive, is the procedure?
  • Boot using recovery disc
  • Connect external drive containing the C: system image
  • Run the recovery / restore from image program/feature
  • Close down and reboot the PC from the new C: drive
I'd assume that as the current C: drive is 200GB then the new drive will get partitioned into 200GB for C:, the rest going to D:. Or do I get options as to how to partition the new drive?

Can the new C: drive be larger than the old one?

I've built many Windows systems from scratch - rather not do it this time (lack of time and the system, dubious HDD excepted, is running fine) - but I've never needed to replace the HDD in a running system.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks in advance smile

Tony
  Print Thread

Jump to