Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User derekdel
(regular) Sat 31-Oct-15 10:38:21
Print Post

Windows 10 reinstall

[link to this post]

I have a question I hope you guys can help me with.

I have a a retail copy of Windows 7 that I use to reinstall Windows whenever I repair or upgrade my pc, always at hand. I'm not installing Windows on a regular basis but would prefer the option.

When I have to reinstall Windows in the future after installing Windows 10 is there anyway to use the free download to create a Windows 10 "upgrade" disc as I presume I would have to reinstall Windows 7 first?

Thanks.

ZeN Line 1 BQM
ZeN Line 2 BQM
BT Backhaul sucks
Standard User DavidFinbarr
(freechataholic) Sat 31-Oct-15 10:44:25
Print Post

Re: Windows 10 reinstall

[re: derekdel] [link to this post]

If your system has Win 10 installed then AFAIK you can just reinstall Win 10, no need to reinstall Win 7 first.

Definition of an intellectual
Someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.

Edited by DavidFinbarr (Sat 31-Oct-15 10:44:54)

Standard User Sark
(legend) Sat 31-Oct-15 10:51:36
Print Post

[re: DavidFinbarr] [link to this post]

Yep can confirm this is true. Just download the ISO from here. No product key is needed as Microsoft is able to determine your entitlement from the hardware it is installed on.

John.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oldjim
(knowledge is power) Sat 31-Oct-15 10:56:47
Print Post

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

Agreed
I did that when I had to replace a failed hard drive on a Sony Vaio laptop which was extremely fortunate as the owner hadn't created a Win 7 backup
Standard User scopio
(committed) Sat 31-Oct-15 13:42:25
Print Post

Once you have upgraded to Windows 10 AND it is activated, you can do a CLEAN INSTALL on that machine anytime using the ISO as Sark says above. No need to enter Product Key. During the clean install, SKIP each time you are asked for the Windows key. It is going to activate afterwards as soon as you connect that computer to the internet.

PC Full Tower - Self Build OS Windows 10 64bit Laptop Dell Inspiron 1545 - OS Windows 8.1 Home Premium 32bit Stardock8
ISP was O2 All Rounder now PlusNet Unlimited Broadband SamKnows Whitebox connected on 14:02:2013
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13669...
http://speedtest.net/result/2668600210.png
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-Oct-15 21:30:30
Print Post

[re: scopio] [link to this post]

Also on a later update you will be able to use your Windows 7/8.1 product key, I do not remember what version, it is something I read on a tech site.

Not that I would recommend Windows 10 to be honest

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User derekdel
(regular) Sun 01-Nov-15 16:25:05
Print Post

Thanks to everyone for the help and link. I have saved the file.

My only concern is if I upgrade my PC in the future the digital footprint the software has been registered with will change and it perhaps wont let me reinstall the downloaded version.

Basically if I scrap this PC and build another one at a later date will I still be able to install windows10 and use my windows 7 key? {as windows 10 is the upgrade]

I prefer retail versions of windows rather than the OEM one time use discs as I've replaced and rebuilt this PC twice since win7 came out.

ZeN Line 1 BQM
ZeN Line 2 BQM
BT Backhaul sucks
Standard User Sark
(legend) Sun 01-Nov-15 17:45:49
Print Post

You'll be able to install Windows 7 on a newly built PC but not upgrade to Windows 10. The Windows 10 licence is linked to the device/PC and is not transferable. Then again the telephone/manual activation has always been pretty lenient so it might work anyway but don't count on it.

John.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Nov-15 19:48:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sark:
You'll be able to install Windows 7 on a newly built PC but not upgrade to Windows 10. The Windows 10 licence is linked to the device/PC and is not transferable. Then again the telephone/manual activation has always been pretty lenient so it might work anyway but don't count on it.

+1

AAISP Home::1
Standard User derekdel
(regular) Mon 02-Nov-15 16:12:26
Print Post

I was expecting that albeit hopefully I could obviously carry the free upgrade offer everyone has received over for future rebuilds. It's looking not so free now smile

Thanks very much folks

ZeN Line 1 BQM
ZeN Line 2 BQM
BT Backhaul sucks
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to