Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-15 21:57:09
Print Post

Returning to Windows after being with Linux

[link to this post]

Hope someone can help. I know it might be daft to want to return to Windows, but the kids want to play games on Steam that are Microsoft only and I don't want to use any emulators to access them . They also use Office at school and don't like using LibreOffice.

W7 was on my old PC, however that was a OEM version frown

I have seen on Amazon that you can buy MAR versions of W7, has anyone here done that & did you have any problems.

Thanks in Advance

Steve

Edited by blfamily (Mon 09-Nov-15 21:57:50)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Nov-15 23:09:08
Print Post

Re: Returning to Windows after being with Linux

[re: blfamily] [link to this post]

Buy a cheap copy of WIn8 and get the free upgrade to 10, would be my advice!

AAISP Home::1
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Nov-15 08:57:10
Print Post

You are better off with windows 8, it, if you do not like the start screen, you can put a start menu on. Windows 8 is smoother running than Windows 7, which you can update to Windows 10 with as well, Windows 8 also uses less space than 7 and depending on the size of the drive you can also dual boot linux if you want to.

The problem is, buying windows 7 or 8 is not that cheap, by the time you paid out for them, you may as well get Windows 10 if you want Windows 10.

Ok, I just been looking what a Mar version is, sounds good enough as long as it is a Mar version.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Al1264
(member) Thu 12-Nov-15 12:09:04
Print Post

I've purchased a couple of these W7 professional MAR versions for recent (within the last year) PC builds, no problems (typing this on a machine using one of the purchased licenses now). Another PC with the same license type now running Windows 10 (with 'automatic' free 'upgrade').
Standard User blfamily
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Nov-15 19:28:06
Print Post

[re: Al1264] [link to this post]

That is great to here. does anyone know if I can just boot the W& MAR and it will overwirte everything belonging to LINUX Mint or do I have to prepare the machine somehow?

Steve
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 15-Nov-15 20:17:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by blfamily:
That is great to here. does anyone know if I can just boot the W& MAR and it will overwirte everything belonging to LINUX Mint or do I have to prepare the machine somehow?

You have to delete the partitions on the drive and renew, when you get past the part asking for langage and that sort of thing, agree with the licence, then click on custom (Advance).

You will then see the partitions of your drive, down the bottom right you will see drive options, that will open up some options, new, Delete, format and some other stuff. Click on the partition you want to get rid of and click on delete, If you are running Linux only then you may have two partitions, one the swap and one for the system, you may have three as some people have a separate home partition.

Once those are erased,you then have just a unallocated partition on drive 0, make sure you have no other drives in the USB ports. I presume your computer only got one internal hard drive.
Anyway, all you got to do is click on that partition and then next, Windows will then make do the rest for you,.

You do not need to partition and format the drive before you install windows unless you want to split the drive.
Hope that helps.

Oh, one thing, makes sure you got all the drivers you need before you start more so the Wi-fi or network ones, because one you are online you can download others.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Edited by zyborg47 (Sun 15-Nov-15 20:19:24)

Print Thread

Jump to