Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Dec-15 23:47:06
Print Post

Classicfying (!) Win 10 Start Menu

[link to this post]

Just getting into Win 10 on my new desktop. I'm sure I'll have more Qs later but for now is there any way of making the Start Menu more like it was in Win 7 (or even 8 with Classic Shell) & earlier? In particular:
  1. Can the alphabetic sectioning be removed?
  2. Can the metro apps under All Apps be dropped w/out losing them completely and preferably grouping them together under a sub-menu? I know where the entries for the real programs are indexed, but can't find where the index of the metro apps are held.
  3. Similarly, can the tiles on the R be removed w/out losing them completely?
  4. Why aren't there sub-menus of menus of programs under All Apps even when there are sub-folders within the storage of the index of real programs.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 13-Dec-15 02:36:27)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 12-Dec-15 23:55:49
Print Post

Re: Classicfying (!) Win 10 Start Menu

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

http://www.howtogeek.com/197836/8-ways-to-customize-...
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Dec-15 09:20:19
Print Post

Best thing is to use a 3rd party replacement, like Classic shell, When I was using 10 I used startisback, which is what I am still using on windows 8.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Dec-15 12:31:31
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

The main point of upgrading from Win 8.1, where I am using Classic Shell, to Win 10 is to get back to the normal Windows tailorable Start Menu, only to have to go back to Classic Shell to get it wink.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Dec-15 12:46:56
Print Post

I'm using Classic Shell on my Win 10 laptop, and have set it to look almost the same as it was on Win 7. No tiles visible unless I click on Windows 10 start menu.

I'd have stuck with the Win 10 menu but I couldn't get my programs on the Start list, only as tiles or in a personal folder, both of which didn't suit me. It seems that you can only put folders into the text list, not individual programs. Unless someone knows otherwise of course.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Dec-15 12:51:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks. I had seen that article but it does not address any of my queries other than saying unpin the tiles manually 1-by-1, which is obvious but not what I was after.

I could not get many of their tweaks to work/appear:
  1. Personalize does not lead to Color and Appearance dialog.
  2. Can't Pin Items from the Left Side of the Start Menu, which would have been v. useful.
  3. No “Remove from this list”.
  4. No "Properties" on background & no Start Menu tab.

Standard User smoothound
(regular) Sun 13-Dec-15 13:24:19
Print Post

Hi
When I was running windows 8 I used "Start 8" from Stardock to return the start menu to the desktop.

Stardock have introduced "Start 10" which I think gives you a windows 7 start menu.

I think you can try it for 30 day before you have to buy, when I purchased "Start 8" for windows 8 it cost less than $5 (yes less than 5 dollars) so it won't break the bank.

http://www.stardock.com/products/

v21 > Fast4 > Vivaciti > Zen
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sun 13-Dec-15 13:43:01
Print Post

The start menu properties are in Settings now
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Dec-15 19:44:40
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
It seems that you can only put folders into the text list, not individual programs. Unless someone knows otherwise of course.
Yes you can!. You put the shortcuts to the individual programs directly under either:
  • For all users: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs , or
  • For you alone: C:\Users\you\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
rather than any sub-folder below there.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-Dec-15 19:58:34
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Where? I've already told you I can't find them now. My "Taskbar & Start Menu Properties", which I can only get to from the Taskbar not the background, only has the tabs: Taskbar, Notifications & Toolbars; no Start Menu tab!

Please show me where you can find them?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to