Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Dec-15 20:07:12
Print Post

Using winfiws 10

[link to this post]

Have been getting the update to windows 10 message for a few weeks. Use win 7 pro on my main pc. Should i update now. Or wait a few months. What do you think?

IanD
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Dec-15 21:12:01
Print Post

Re: Using winfiws 10

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Walt. I have just discovered a bug with the LPT driver in the latest update 1511, they are still debugging stuff. Rumour has it it will be forced on users in the new year anyway!

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 15-Dec-15 21:54:57
Print Post

Avoid as long as possible. It's a ruddy beta product that isn't fit for general release, and doesn't seem to be very pleasant to use anyway.

Hide the icon and turn off the reminders, like I have done smile.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Tue 15-Dec-15 22:37:16
Print Post

I updated my laptop 3 months ago and, after dealing with a boot problem (disable the Bluetooth device) it's running perfectly. I've installed (free) Classic Shell and it looks so very similar to Windows 10. A set of updates were installed today with no problems.

I don't do anything particularly exciting with it, run IIS for web site testing; it's all running, as far as I can see, perfectly.

I see no reason notto upgrade my desktop in the new year when I've sorted a current hardware problem.

Ultimately it's your decision. Make sure you take an image of the current system, and backup all your data as well.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Tue 15-Dec-15 22:43:41
Print Post

I've been using 10 for ages now. It's more stable than 7, 8, or 8.1 and a lot pleasanter to use. Seems to be easier on resources too.

But if you're worried just hold off a bit longer.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Dec-15 08:39:09
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

I've upgrade a couple of devices - one is fine the other now needs to be reinstalled as it's decided it won't do any updates or store downloads (although some people might see that as a benefit). The other PC is more important and not willing to update that just yet - will probably wait at least another 3 months.

My families PCs I am holding off on. My Mum's laptop will probably be done around March. Brother's PC may not be done at all as he uses it for a lot of games and some are pretty old - likelihood is he will replace the PC before Win 7 goes out of support.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Dec-15 08:47:09
Print Post

Windows 10 is an OS that is not ready for general release, even if MS thinks it is. Still buggy and still some software and hardware problems. MS saying that Windows 10 is an evolving OS is rubbish, it is just MS speak for, we will put it out to the public and fix it afterwards.
The problem is that MS can change it to how they want and we would have little choice but to accept it.

Myself I would wait as long as possible.
But saying that, Windows 10 core is far better than Windows 7, it is faster, handles memory better, quicker to boot up, sometimes quicker to shut down,

I am using Windows 8.1 and now i got it looking and working the way I like it, I do not see a great advantage of updating to windows 10. I have tried and used windows 10, but there is no advantage over windows 8.1.

As for Banger saying it will be forced onto people in the new year, there is some truth in that in that MS will download the files to your computer and start the install process, but you can stop it at that point. Ms are already downloading the files to people's computers, which I think is out of order.

There are ways to stop this happening, theGWX control panel will get rid of the notification and will stop the files being downloaded. But it have been known for MS to reset this, but so far they have not on mine.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Dec-15 17:20:55
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Talking about the nag, I have just seen this.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Wed 16-Dec-15 17:28:33
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Don't forget that, before you are presented with this option (which you can still cancel - or you can decline the EULA) you have already clicked on an icon indicating that you wish to upgrade.
Standard User rogerfp
(member) Wed 16-Dec-15 18:39:18
Print Post

From my experience Windows 10 is at least if not more stable and reliable as Windows 7/8. I installed it on 7 pc's/laptops without any issues. However, I would recommend that as a minimum you backup all your important data and if possible, image your hard disk if you have a spare. I haven't used the rollback, so can't comment on how reliable it is. If you are able I would recommend a clean build its the best way. That's what I have done. Microsoft will not admit it in public, but it's the recommended way to install a new operating system. There are plenty of links on the web how to download the install files and create installation media, eg, http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/operating-sy...
As far as those whinging and whining about being a "beta" version. They are don't know what they are talking about. All operating systems and software are beta versions. Windows 95/98/XP etc. are still beta versions, as no software ever reaches the final version as bugs and security issues are constantly being found and discovered. It evolves all the time. So I would take the plunge and go for it.

Edited by rogerfp (Wed 16-Dec-15 19:19:17)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to