Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User spranglebolt
(member) Mon 21-Dec-15 13:12:52
Print Post

No apologies for raising Win 10 again

[link to this post]

If Win 10 is as fast, efficient , easy to use and orgasmically wonderful as MS insists on telling me daily, why am I being forced to post this on my wife's Win 8.1 laptop?

My own Dell XPS 8700 desktop dates back to October 2013. It is grossly over-configured for my purposes, with an embarrassing amount of spare disk space etc, and has coped well with Win 8.1.

Foolishly I succumbed to relentless MS pressure last night. The Win upgrade to Win 10 Home has been stuck at 32% (6% of 'installing features and drivers') for way over 12hrs. No software or hardware incompatibilities flagged up. In fact no nice helpful messages at all.

I'm told that the only response for me is a hard power down. Fingers crossed . . .
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Dec-15 13:58:40
Print Post

Re: No apologies for raising Win 10 again

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

Problems can and do happen from time to time, shame it has happened with new bit of kit but there is a good chance it will be OK next time round.

It should recover (it usually will give it a 2nd go, and then if that fails, it willl revert) OK if you power off and turn back on, it is designed to be highly robust and fully able to revert if problems arise.

Personally I would make sure BIOS etc is all up to date etc and then give it another go, but maybe you have had your fingers burnt now...

AAISP Home::1
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 21-Dec-15 14:00:07
Print Post

There are currently a lot of issues with Windows Update and, as far as I can tell, it affects all releases. It has borked my old Win 7 laptop although my desktop (that I am using now) is fine. I shall probably have to do a reinstall on the laptop. frown

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Dec-15 14:16:39
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

I finally upgraded my Mum's laptop at the weekend as it was having a few issues with Win 8.1 (mostly that the Windows update daemon was taking up about 50% of the processor). Had to do some Win 8.1 patches first before it would run (it kept failing without a useful error message but after doing patches it stopped complaining). Upgrade took about 2 hours all told I think. Just a matter now of waiting to see if she gets any problems with it - fingers crossed.
Standard User spranglebolt
(member) Mon 21-Dec-15 21:34:56
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Thanks folks. Back on 8.1 after a hard power down and up.

Interesting to see in a very recent thread here that some have identified Bluetooth as a possible source of problems.

Edited by spranglebolt (Mon 21-Dec-15 21:37:59)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 21-Dec-15 22:15:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by spranglebolt:
Thanks folks. Back on 8.1 after a hard power down and up.

Interesting to see in a very recent thread here that some have identified Bluetooth Microsoft as a possible source of problems.
Fixed that for you.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Mon 21-Dec-15 22:52:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think we already know your aversion to Windows 10. That comment really adds little to the thread other than to reinforce your prejudices and is not helpful.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 21-Dec-15 22:55:49
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

It is equally valid to conclude that the existence of the thread supports my objective and unprejudiced view smile.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 21-Dec-15 23:15:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Reminds me of the ryhme:

There was a little girl
Who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead.

And when she was good,
She was very, very good;
But when she was bad, she was horrid.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 21-Dec-15 23:43:42
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

The OP must be incompetent or an idiot then, as espoused by someone who agrees with you about my opinion of Win 10.

My view is that the OP is a normal, intelligent person who has come up against a major problem with Win 10 a full six months after its general release. It won't even install on his system. He is (presumably) not competent to download and create a clean install disc, then backup all his applications and their data, do a clean install, and reload everything with everything working fine at the end.

Like millions of others. As opposed to the few hundred thousand who relish the challenge.

You can all live in cloud-geek land if you wish, but I defy you to find the same volume of posters reporting such problems with Win 7 or win 8 ujpgrades from earlier systems.

Windows 10 is not supposed to be for geeks who enjoy the challenges of being early adopters. Isn't that what the pre-release Insider or whatever it was called programme was about? It was supposed to be ready for unleashing in July on normal people with zilch knowledge other than the ability to follow the instructions given by Microsoft.

It isn't ready, even now. It frequently fails to upgrade, and quite often fails to update itself once installed. Quite apart from bugs within it that are generating vast numbers of updates.

Deny, deny and deny all you like. The problem reports continue.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to