Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-15 20:39:03
Print Post

Re: Windows Picture & Fax Viewer Replacement for Win 10?

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
I know I've said it many times before but, I really liked/like Windows 8/8.1, and I'd take it over Windows 7 any day. Windows 10 is an improvement on them both but my PC and work laptop both run Windows 8.1 (both non-touch) and I am more than happy with them, but would dread it if were Windows 7.

It is a learning curve a little bit but if you get to know it, it is just fine.

I still prefer windows 7 to 8.1 in that it looks better and don't have the awful ribbon menu, But Windows 8 as a OS in that it is quicker and smoother is better than Windows 7 once you get a decent start menu and get rid of all the sidebars, like charms.

I see no advantage in updating to windows 10 as in real life use it is no faster than Windows 8.1.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-15 20:39:34
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
In reply to a post by Oliver341:
What does Microsoft call apps like Calculator and Groove Music?

I found the answer:

In the beginning there was the word, and the word was Metro. And then it was Windows 8-style. And then it was Modern. And then it was Windows Store. And then it was Universal. And today, Microsoft has decreed that henceforth these apps—which are all ultimately based on Windows Runtime—will be known as Windows apps.

Quite crazy really.

MS will one day decide to stick with a name,

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Sun 27-Dec-15 20:39:54
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I think there is little point in continuing the conversation as we appear to be talking about two different operating systems. Luckily, I have experienced none of the problems that plague you.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Dec-15 22:35:52
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
I think there is little point in continuing the conversation as we appear to be talking about two different operating systems. Luckily, I have experienced none of the problems that plague you.

Really? i was mainly on about windows 10.

The problems I posted about have been posted in other articles, so it is not just me. Once the OS is up and running it works ok ap[artt from a couple of minor things, my scanner being one and Windows 10 keep wanting to update my sound card drivers and mucking it up is another.
But my main problem with 10 is the spying bit and the we want to know everything about you.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(experienced) Sun 27-Dec-15 22:48:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
But my main problem with 10 is the spying bit and the we want to know everything about you.
It amuses me that people worry about this with Windows 10 but quite happily use Google (or any other search engine), Twitter, Facebook (or any other social media), email, etc. If you don't want people to know about you (even in the form of anonymous data) don't use the Internet. Period.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Dec-15 08:42:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
It amuses me that people worry about this with Windows 10 but quite happily use Google (or any other search engine), Twitter, Facebook (or any other social media), email, etc. If you don't want people to know about you (even in the form of anonymous data) don't use the Internet. Period.

Social media you can put as much or as little info as you want on that, I don't use Google search engine or any of the normal ones. My email is not one of the free ones while it does get scanned for viruses and spam, that is the only thing it is scanned for, not to send me a load of adverts.

When you go on the net there are some ways to get out of the collection of data, you may not stop it all, but you can stop a fair bit.
Anyway that is a different thing, when you use a Os you do not expect the makers to spy on you, yes I know about android, but that is how Google makes their money and most people know that is how Android works. Windows is not supposed to be like Android, it is a Os for computers, MS do not need to know the amount of info or what I have on my computer, they are not supposed to be able to say what software can be and can't be on my computer.
While some things can be turned off, there is a lot that can only be switched off by going under the hood as to speak or getting software to do it and some of them can be iffy.

It seems like you like Microsoft so much that you can not see what they are like.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(experienced) Mon 28-Dec-15 09:08:41
Print Post

I think it is perfectly reasonable of Microsoft to want to know how their products are used, and on what hardware, so that they can tailor them to users' needs. I always opt in to their invitations to send them usage data.

Far more dangerous are those aspects of the Internet where you don't realise that your data/usage statistics are being collected. You really think that non-free email protects you or use of a search engine other than Google?

As for advertising, Microsoft has never sent me an unsolicited or obtrusive advertisement which is more than I can say for most web sites (this one included).
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Dec-15 19:47:39
Print Post

Why should MS want to know how we use their products, I have a cooker, should I tell the manufacture what I cook in there, I have a Hi-fi, why not send the info back to the manufacturer so they know what I am listening to?

Nothing to do with MS what I am using Windows for, I paid for the licence to use it, not to be spied on. I understand that a smart phone is different, and I can choose to just have a normal phone, the problem is there is software that will not run on other operating systems and MS have been a monopoly for so long the whole computer Os system market is mucked up.

If Ms do want to keep a eye on us, then they should make it easy to opt out and they don't do that with Windows and now they have also put their spying telemetry into Windows 8.1 and 7, thankfully there is software to get rid of it, but would it be nice of MS to ask first?

My email service protects me more than MS hotmail or whatever they decide to call it when Billy Gates change his socks and the search engine I use do not send my info back to Google or what other search engine they use.
Nothing is 100%, but I do try and block third party cookies and beacons on the net.

MS have already started advertising on Windows 10 via the start menu., their recommendation of apps, sure you can turn it off at the moment, but for how long and when will it become more than the recommendation of Apps?

I trust MS as much as I trust our government.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
(experienced) Mon 28-Dec-15 21:08:14
Print Post

If the concept of a manufacturer wishing to improve their product is foreign to you there is nothing more to be said. It seems that you want to have your cake and eat it. You insist that Microsoft is a terrible company and yet you want to continue to use the products you despise. To me that seems just a little bit inconsistent.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Dec-15 22:27:32
Print Post

I have no problem with a manufacturer improving a product, but watching eveything you do is not the way to go about it, forcing downloads of drivers is not the way to go about it, being nosy about waht software you hasve on you computer is also not the way to go about it.

Older version of Windows used to ask you if you wanted to send a Error report if there was a problem and that the way it should have stayed.
Microsoft have changed, it used to be a company that sold an Operating system that did just that, but over the years this Os have become more invasive and more and more added which is not needed.
Why do we need Cortana? I can understand on a mobile phone, but not on a desktop. One drive? I don't even use it on windows 8.1, yet MS makes it difficult to get rid off on both Windows 8 and 10, more deeply intergrated on Windows 10.

This whole idea of a service is crazy, it is just a excuse for MS to put out software before it is ready and get the public to test it out. Windows 10 was not ready for the public at launch and I am not the only one that says so. This service thing is also a way to add more stuff that we may not want.

I have said before, I have got very little choice but to use Windows unless I pay a lot of money for a Apple machine, something that I am not prepared to do and the Os I do like which is Linux do not have the software available that will allow me to do what I want.
Also I have spent a lot of money on software for a windows based machine.
So I am stuck with Windows, but I am not going to let Ms force me into updating to Windows 10 until I am ready to, if I ever am ready.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to