Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TinyMongomery
(experienced) Tue 05-Jan-16 12:15:00
Print Post

Re: Windows Picture & Fax Viewer Replacement for Win 10?

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Having supported the transition from MS-DOS to Windows, I would have to disagree with that assessment, certainly in a work environment. Windows allowed for the easy configuration of printers and networking that was just not reasonably possible with MS-DOS. The idea of the OS managing hardware, rather than each program having to be individually configured to support, say, a printer was a major step for users and support staff. And, for power users, the ability to have their word processor and spreadsheet open at the same time was a revelation.

There was, of course, a learning curve - though nowhere near as steep as feared - but no one of our users would choose to go back to MS-DOS; rather the problem was keeping up with the demand from those clamouring for Windows.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jan-16 14:16:05
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

And I disagree. I was supporting PCs on MS-DOS and for an experienced user it was quicker. In a corporate environment we were mostly standardised on printers and it could be easier getting a print driver working in WordPerfect than in Windows.

I am not saying that there aren't things that are easier/quicker for a user to do in GUI environments. But, a non-GUI environment will process things more quickly and a proficient user could use DOS far more efficiently than Windows. I disagree that Windows is faster or more efficient but it is easier for most users.

Plus, if you look at things like MS Exchange a lot of the configuration of that is still done at a command line with a built in scripting language. The GUI gets used for standard tasks for "admins" but the serious stuff gets done using power shell.
(experienced) Tue 05-Jan-16 14:58:06
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

You've got to wonder that Windows ever suceeded, haven't you, being more difficult to use than MS-DOS and demanding greater resources from the computer. I wonder what on earth motivated people? Crazy! wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Jan-16 15:51:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
You've got to wonder that Windows ever suceeded, haven't you, being more difficult to use than MS-DOS and demanding greater resources from the computer. I wonder what on earth motivated people? Crazy! wink

Did you read what I posted? That is nothing like what I said.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Jan-16 14:50:47
Print Post

In your esteemed opinion, what are the main benefits of W10 over W7 in and everyday working environment for creating letters, working on a spreadsheet, etc?

The machine might boot more quickly but in my experience.

1. Arrive at workplace and switch on PC.
2. Make drink. (while machine boots so faster booting superfluous)
3. Start working with PC and interact with others when required.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 06-Jan-16 15:50:43
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

I have the same problem when people say to me to update from windows 8.1 to windows 10, I ask them what advantage is it to me and will it allow me to do things faster. I get the normal responce of it is have Cortana, it boots faster and runs faster and it have a start menu.

Cortana will not make any difference of how I use my computer, booting and running faster than Windows 8.1, if it is the difference will be minimal and I have a SSD so my machine boots in seconds anyway,
going through the bios screens take longer. I have a start menu on 8.1 and I don't like Windows 10 start menu so that would be replaced.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
(experienced) Wed 06-Jan-16 16:15:09
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
The machine might boot more quickly.
Well, you've named one big advantage for a start (and then dismiss it, although it is important for a lot of people - I certainly don't want to go and make a cup of tea every time I restart the computer).

Windows 10, I find, is more responsive than 7, and it is easier to find applications on it. Cortana is a great improvement over previous search engines - assuming that you don't wear a tinfoil hat. Live tiles are great, allowing a quick view of weather forecast, news, new emails, etc., etc. without having to open an application. And, having got used to it, I far prefer the flat look to the skeuomorphism of Windows 7 and earlier.

It's just the entirety of little improvements like this that make for a more pleasant and easier experience. For me, personally, the fact that Windows 10 integrates so smoothly across a range of computers, tablets, and phones is a big plus. Not such a deal if you are an iPhone fan, but I like my Windows phone.

Plus, I've not managed to crash it or lock it up yet; it's easily the most stable version of Windows that I have ever used.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to