Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Dec-15 00:09:18
Print Post

XP Can't Access Networked Printer on Win 10

[link to this post]

I have an oldish HP Deskjet 895Cxi parallel printer that used to be networked from XP. Now moved it to my Win 10 desktop, connected by a parallel to USB cable. and network shared it. Works fine locally on Win 10, so cable can't be a problem.

When I try to Add Printer on XP, I see the printer, attached to Win10, in the list of printers seen in the network, and it asks me to authenticate. When I gave my creds, which are the same on both PCs, it fails saying they conflict with some existing creds & can't be replaced.

Yet:
  1. The printer was successfully added to & shared by a Win 8.1 laptop w/out asking for any creds.
  2. When the printer was on the XP PC it was also successfully added to & shared by the Win 8.1 laptop.
Any ideas welcome?

Drivers can't be a problem as printer is old enough to have appropriate drivers for XP and, in fact, printer has run OK on all 3 PCs in 1 way or another; just not from Win 10 to XP.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 24-Dec-15 00:14:30)

Print Thread

Jump to