Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jan-16 18:34:23
Print Post

Windows 7/8 - how to disable Win 10 update but keep others

[link to this post]

The Register has kindly publicized Microsnot's approved method to stop annoying Windows 10 updates while still allowing all other recommended and important updates to the computer;

Confirmed: How to stop Windows 10 forcing itself onto PCs your essential guide

This is quite useful as I've found that hiding update kb3035583 only has a a temporary effect. It soon shows up again as a recommended (and soon to be important) update.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 10-Jan-16 19:32:45
Print Post

Re: Windows 7/8 - how to disable Win 10 update but keep othe

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

I use the third party GWX Control Panel utility to block GWX.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jan-16 20:23:51
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Yea its annoying, and the reason i have auto updates off. I have the option for my PC to check for updates but let my choose when to install them, so i can hide and not install anything i dont need

But agree its annoying them constantly reappearing

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 10-Jan-16 21:31:47
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

I don't get this!

In another thread I pointed out that using the Taskbar and Navigation Properties, accessed by right-clicking a blank area on the bar then Properties, I went to "Notification Area". selected the W 10 icon, and set GWX to "Hide icon and notifications.

It hasn't popped up since, but is still in the Hidden Icons box.

Win 8.1, so I admit I don't know if Win 7 has that option.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Jan-16 07:34:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I dont have that update installed so not sure how it behaves, but i think the point is people dont want it installed in the first place. Hiding it only removes it for a short while before MS rerelease it and its back. And soon its classed as important meaning unsuspecting users will have it installed automatically if thats what Windows Update setting they have

Edited by bobble_bob (Mon 11-Jan-16 07:34:36)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Jan-16 09:41:00
Print Post

I'm talking about the Windows icon that used to keep popping up asking me to "upgrade now". I don't know what upgrade you are saying you don't have, as the Setting I'm using is a standard option. I've hidden icons from the system tray using several older versions of Windows.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Jan-16 09:45:38
Print Post

That icon you mentioned is created by downloading the KB the OP and myself keep hiding in Windows Update.

Although you say you have hidden it and dont get popups which is good, a few sites have reported the upgrade popups keep appearing randomly. Hence why i dont want to install the KB
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Jan-16 09:55:06
Print Post

Right, now I understand. I do have updates to automatic download but self-decision when to install. This one is unusual in appearing as this icon, rather than in a list of those waiting.

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Jan-16 10:05:25
Print Post

You probably downloades the KB without realising. Microsoft seem keen to get people downloading it. They rerelease the update every month and have it set to important so if you have auto update on it will install without your say so.

Thats why i have Windows Update set to ask me what i install and download. No interest in Win 10 yet so dont need this nagware keep asking me to

Even the description is misleading. Says its an update to improve how Windows Update works. No mention of Windows 10 in there

Edited by bobble_bob (Mon 11-Jan-16 10:08:13)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Jan-16 10:57:21
Print Post

The nagging it gave me before I shut it up was clearly to upgrade to Win 10, starting with the several GB already downloaded that many people complained about.

Print Thread

Jump to