Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jan-16 18:18:39
Print Post

What's the best disc/partition cloning/imaging software?

[link to this post]

I know asking the best is, well, asking for a multitude of This is the best answers. But...

Both these cases were using standard Win 7 utilities.
  1. Had problems restoring a Win 7 image to a laptop after having a Win 10 system on it. It decided to go into an interminable disc check afterwards for no valid reason that I could see.
  2. Couldn't restore an HDD partition image to a new SSD volume.
I like to take an image from time to time but if the image is as much use as a waterproof tea bag, then it's a waste of time, effort and possibly money.

So, accepting I may have to spend some money, what is the best, most user-friendly, most capable, of the various products out there?

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Jan-16 19:18:19
Print Post

Re: What's the best disc/partition cloning/imaging software?

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

For all its annoying marketing faults and such, Acronis is very difficult to beat!

AAISP Home::1
Standard User longedge
(committed) Sun 24-Jan-16 20:33:57
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
For all its annoying marketing faults and such, Acronis is very difficult to beat!

It didn't work for me. I Googled the error condition/message that I got "Kernel Panic etc." and saw I wasn't the only one. I also have Paragon HD Manager Suite and that worked up to a point i.e. it cloned the drive onto a new one but when I put the clone in my laptop and tried to boot from it nothing happened.

I tried various settings for efi and mbr settings and with secure boot on and off all to no avail and I've given up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sun 24-Jan-16 20:41:23
Print Post

Try Easeus Partition Master. There is a free edition. I quite like Easeus's software.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Jan-16 21:15:24
Print Post

Ones I see being recommended are Aomei Backupper and Macrium Reflect Free. Aomei does a Partition Manager which can clone for free also but apparently Macrium Reflect can clone too, but I only use it for imaging, it can fix boot problems too. Dont forget to make a bootable DVD/USB for Reflect.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Jan-16 21:16:27
Print Post

For image and cloning i am now using Macrium reflect for basic cloning and image back up it seems to do the job and it is free. You can pay to get more features.

No partition software with it, but you can adjust the partitions if you clone onto a larger drive.
Paragon Partition manager is pretty good, the free on is basic but does the job, the same as EaseUS Partition Master is also good.

I did swear by acronis, but after two images became corrupted, I am not sure if I would like to trust it again.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Jan-16 21:26:47
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
Ones I see being recommended are Aomei Backupper and Macrium Reflect Free. Aomei does a Partition Manager which can clone for free also but apparently Macrium Reflect can clone too, but I only use it for imaging, it can fix boot problems too. Dont forget to make a bootable DVD/USB for Reflect.
Perhaps I used the term clone incorrectly. I really meant the ability to take a copy of a system, either for security purposes or to be able to put it onto another disc (spinning or otherwise), and restore it as appropriate.

The real question - as with any backup/security policy strategy - is Does it actually work?; without testing you can't be sure. That then begs the question how do you test?
In reply to a post by zyborg47:
For image and cloning i am now using Macrium reflect for basic cloning and image back up it seems to do the job and it is free. You can pay to get more features.

No partition software with it, but you can adjust the partitions if you clone onto a larger drive.
Paragon Partition manager is pretty good, the free on is basic but does the job, the same as EaseUS Partition Master is also good.

I did swear by acronis, but after two images became corrupted, I am not sure if I would like to trust it again.
I'm not really concerned about partitioning software, it's the imaging/cloning ability I'm really interested in.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Jan-16 21:34:09
Print Post

Macrium Reflect free for imaging. Youre mixing up terms. Imaging for backup, cloning for disk to disk transfer.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 24-Jan-16 22:13:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
I'm not really concerned about partitioning software, it's the imaging/cloning ability I'm really interested in.
From what I've seen repeatedly over many years, seeking to combine the two is not something you should attempt. As I remember it Paragon is good at the partitioning aspect but I think there are or were better dedicated tools for that.

File (including system and hidden) full system backup by Acronis I believe to be quite robust. Image backup from any supplier I have always regarded with great suspicion. Too many variables to deal with at the low level when looked at in conjunction with partitioning.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59997/15142kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User TinyMongomery
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 24-Jan-16 22:41:06
Print Post

I've always used Paragon's utilities for partitioning, image backups, and cloning and they have never let me down yet. Free versions of their utilities for each of these uses is available.

I think many people have difficulties with newer versions of Windows because they do not appreciate that you really need to clone the whole disk (or at least the MBR and the hidden partition), not just the main Windows partition (normally C:). Failure to do so makes it difficult to restore to a bootable image.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to