Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Feb-16 16:12:49
Print Post

Startup pest screen

[link to this post]

A week ago I installed FileZilla, which I have done several times on earlier machines.

I was in a rush and didn't spot that Yahoo was also going to be installed and set as my default browser and search engine frown.

I sorted this fairly easily wrt IE11, my preferred browser. It was more difficult with my secondary one, Chrome, where the installation had emptied the search engine list and inserted itself as the only one. In the end I had to reset Chrome to its defaults.

Now, whenever I boot the machine, Chrome is loaded with a mysterious white box and the Windows "working" spinner. See this link (I hope).

I eventually found the Startup folder in Win 8.1. There was some reference in there to Chrome or Yahoo, I forget which, which I removed, but it made no difference.

Does anyone know what has happened please, and how to get rid of this?

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59504/15641kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User longedge
(committed) Wed 03-Feb-16 16:29:39
Print Post

Re: Startup pest screen

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I've been asked to sort laptops for two family members recently. Both were using Chrome and both machines were OK after getting shut of it and then doing a bit of housekeeping. I use the free version of CCleaner and have found it invaluable (especially the registry cleaning tool) to get things back to normal. In both cases. I must admit that Malwarebytes found quite a bit of dross on the machines as well.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Feb-16 16:41:33
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Good ideas. I use malwarebytes now and then, but didn't think of it for this as I wouldn't think this is malware. But I'll run that in a moment.

Also CCleaner - which I have used in the past and found good useful. So I shall download and use that as well.

I don't want to delete Chrome at this stage, but if the above don't work I shall do so then rerun.

Then report back smile.

The indispensable man or woman passes from the scene, and what happens next is more or less the same thing as was happening before.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Feb-16 17:04:55
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Brilliant. Malwarebytes found 9 win.yahoo references and two to do with chrome autostart in the registry. Quarantined them and the problem has gone. I may have disabled a Chrome addon (AdBlock) but easily replaced. Only needed for watching F1 streams on it.

smile smile

I'll run CCleaner as well but just because it does tidy things up.

Thanks.

Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Wed 03-Feb-16 19:27:38
Print Post

Unfortunately SourceForge starting bundling adware (malware) and FilleZiilla was the first major app (and probably only major) to actively participate - Link. As a result FileZilla isn't something I'd install any more and SourceForge is no longer trusted especially their antics with GIMP .

If that wasn't enough there was also a malware version of FileZilla floating around last year - Link

SourceForge was recently sold again, but I suspect it has fallen to far to make any recovery

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Feb-16 19:53:43
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kenneth:
Unfortunately SourceForge starting bundling adware (malware) and FilleZiilla was the first major app (and probably only major) to actively participate - Link. As a result FileZilla isn't something I'd install any more and SourceForge is no longer trusted especially their antics with GIMP .

The software vendor can prevent the SourceForge installation wrapper from being added to the installer by adding "nowrap" to the download url. As far as I can see FileZilla have done this on their website, so people clicking the download links on there shouldn't be seeing the installation wrapper.

Oliver.
Standard User TinyMongomery
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Feb-16 22:14:05
Print Post

I don't download anything from SourceForge nowadays. I just don't trust them.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Feb-16 22:29:17
Print Post

I've a feeling, in my ignorance, that it was SourceForge I got it from. Unfortunately when running CCleaner earlier I deleted the history. I know I diownloaded it on 22nd, so could have checked there frown. Dammit.

Standard User wingco1
(legend) Sat 06-Feb-16 21:59:47
Print Post

Try this, http://unchecky.com/ wouldn't be without it.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-Feb-16 01:44:17
Print Post

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

Looks interesting. Though this is the first I've missed in at least 12 years. I don't even know if a check-box was presented.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to