Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User longedge
(committed) Mon 07-Mar-16 20:12:37
Print Post

MS up the ante - My computer has been scheduled for upgrade.

[link to this post]

For a long time now I've just been deleting the pop-ups that appear every day or two when I boot up in the morning. Never bothered me t.b.h. This morning though the message changed - MS have scheduled my computer to be upgraded to Win 10 on Wednesday 9/3/16 at 23:00 hours unless I cancel it. Way it's going, next thing will be the omission of the option to cancel.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 07-Mar-16 20:58:07
Print Post

Re: MS up the ante - My computer has been scheduled for upgr

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

Don't blame Microsoft. Blame the NSA.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Mar-16 21:52:24
Print Post

That is why I use GWX control panel, it stops all that nonsense.
The only problem I am having at the moment is that for some reason I can not download a update that is hanging around for windows 8.1

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(committed) Mon 07-Mar-16 21:56:06
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

My trouble is that I'm stuck in a past golden age when I had control of my computer and I decided what was going to happen to it.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Mar-16 22:03:15
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I just hide the updates for Windows 10 whenever they get re-released on Windows Update

When does Win 10 not become a free upgrade? Might finally stop all this [censored]
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 07-Mar-16 22:06:42
Print Post

What are you currently using? You can turn off notifications in Win7. Don't know about Win8.x.

My current plan is to stay with Win7 until MS stop issuing updates and then move to either Linux or OS X.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 07-Mar-16 22:07:24
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
When does Win 10 not become a free upgrade? Might finally stop all this [censored]
July, I think.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Mar-16 06:53:28
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
I just hide the updates for Windows 10 whenever they get re-released on Windows Update

It is supposed to be July, but there is talk it may be extended, I don't think it have worked out as planned by Microsoft and even with all the pushing the uptake of windows 10 have not been as high as MS thought ti would be.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User longedge
(committed) Tue 08-Mar-16 17:10:55
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

I'm currently using 8.1 on my laptop and booting straight to the desktop. I never switch my XP desktop on nowadays as I'm happy with the laptop but I am hanging my nose over a new PC. If I give in to myself then it'll be Win10 Pro I think. One of the reasons I've hung back upgrading the laptop is that I use a lot of tried/tested/trusted software and I just don't want the hassle of things possibly going wrong. I've got a PC specced up on Novatech's site but can't build up the courage to press the 'order' button 8^)
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Tue 08-Mar-16 17:20:39
Print Post

I'm using Win 7 Ultimate. I just clicked on the system tray (notification area), then "Customise..." and set GWX to "Hide icon and notifications". No more nagging.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to