Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Mar-16 09:28:10
Print Post

MS is doing it again

[link to this post]

First of all they are pushing asecurity update for Internet Exploder, that will nag you about updating to Windows 10 when you click on a new tab in Internet Exploder, I do not use their browser, thank goodness.

Secondly they are trying to install Windows 10 onto people computers without a easy way to stop it.

Just accept it Ms there are some people, in fact a lot of people who do not want Windows 10.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Mar-16 10:57:21
Print Post

Re: MS is doing it again

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I could understand it if the old OS was going out of support but even Win 7 is still supported for another 4 years. There is no way I want to go through the hell of getting my brother's gaming PC upgraded to win 10 when by the time Win 7 goes out of support he will have replaced the PC anyway. I also don't plan on upgrading my gaming PC in the near future.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Mar-16 13:31:37
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Google Chrome is annoying too. It is dropping support for Vista a year before its lifecycle ends. On they other hand they supported XP for two years after its lifecycle ended. Inconsistent.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Mar-16 15:56:51
Print Post

Just have auto updates turned off like i have for years, and make sure you manually check what each patch does.

Aslong as you dont install update KB 3035583 you're fine. Hopefully only have a few more month to put up with this nonsense from MS
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 14-Mar-16 16:10:56
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Hopefully only have a few more month to put up with this nonsense from MS
Don't count on it.

Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Mar-16 16:12:26
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

They'll extend the free upgrade by at least 6 months, possibly a year. They haven't got the numbers they wanted to move over.

Too many people on pre win 8 versions will seriously limit the potential of their new app store.

Edited by ian72 (Mon 14-Mar-16 16:12:57)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Mar-16 21:16:54
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Just have auto updates turned off like i have for years, and make sure you manually check what each patch does.

Aslong as you dont install update KB 3035583 you're fine. Hopefully only have a few more month to put up with this nonsense from MS

I have tell me when there are updates but do not install them.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 14-Mar-16 21:18:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
They'll extend the free upgrade by at least 6 months, possibly a year. They haven't got the numbers they wanted to move over.

Too many people on pre win 8 versions will seriously limit the potential of their new app store.

I think you are right, they will keep it quiet about any extension until the last minute. But then we could all be wrong.
I have installed Windows 10, so even after the offer is over I can still install 10 for free if I wanted to.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Mar-16 08:04:38
Print Post

I've upgraded a laptop and tablet but not my gaming PC - need to decide whether to or not, but I probably will before the time is up. My brother's PC is the one I am more worried about as he plays all sorts of old and new games and I really don't feel like risking it.
Standard User neo_wales
(learned) Tue 15-Mar-16 08:32:21
Print Post

Ian I'd upgrade his machine, you can always roll back to 7. I've installed 10 on several machines now and all installations have been problem free.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i7 PC
i7 Surface Pro 4
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to