Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Mar-16 00:58:28
Print Post

Restoring "Uninstalled" Apps in Win 10

[link to this post]

In any Windows, when you (usually the admin) uninstall a real application it is gone for good for all users.

However for the Windows apps when any user (incl. the admin) uninstalls an app it is only removed from their All app menu but is still on the other users' All app menus. So it hasn't actually gone, just the menu link is removed; the code must still be on the PC.

Out of curiosity, how do you restore such an "uninstalled" app for one particular user w/out affecting any other user? I suppose you could go to the MS Store & reinstall it, but won't that be reinstalled for all users?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Mar-16 08:56:32
Print Post

Re: Restoring "Uninstalled" Apps in Win 10

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Does this help?

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 26-Mar-16 23:19:51
Print Post

Re: Restoring "Uninstalled" Apps in Win 10

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Thanks, that was useful, although it did not address the point I was after. It showed how to reinstall all apps for all users whereas I'm after a particular app for a single user.

I tried to tweak the commands given there to my requirement but failed. In the meantime, after much searching & keep finding exactly the same advice as yours I eventually found [Guide] How to Reinstall All Default Built-in Apps in Windows 10 which exactly fitted my bill.

Under a given user, in an admin powershell 1st issue the command
"Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Select Name, PackageFullName"
to find all the package names.

Then substitute the specific PackageFullName wanted into the command
"Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\PackageFullName\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode",

e.g. "Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_16.302.8200.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode".

Unfortunately, I have one particular user that I'm trying to fix, some of whose apps fail respond in any way and some of whose apps appear in the Classic Shell's App menu, but not in the Windows All Apps, not as their normal name, like "Photos" but as
"@{Microsoft.Windows.Photos_16.302.8200.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwems-resource--Microsoft.Windows.Photos-Resources-AppFriendlyName}".

These 2 sets of apps do not coincide.

Even after reinstalling the Photo app for this user in the above way and w/out any error msgs from powershell it's still doing this. Any ideas?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 26-Mar-16 23:27:07)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to