Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TinyMongomery
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Mar-16 21:14:11
Print Post

Linux on Windows 10

[link to this post]

A couple of days later and I'd have written this announcement off as an April Fool: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/0... I find it interesting as much for the direction that Microsoft is taking as the announcement itself. I wonder if it will run gcc? If it can do this without all that CygWin kludge it could be great news.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 30-Mar-16 21:32:16
Print Post

Re: Linux on Windows 10

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

Developers can run Bash Shell and user-mode Ubuntu Linux binaries on Windows 10

This isn't Bash or Ubuntu running in a VM. This is a real native Bash Linux binary running on Windows itself. It's fast and lightweight and it's the real binaries. This is an genuine Ubuntu image on top of Windows with all the Linux tools I use like awk, sed, grep, vi, etc. It's fast and it's lightweight. The binaries are downloaded by you - using apt-get - just as on Linux, because it is Linux. You can apt-get and download other tools like Ruby, Redis, emacs, and on and on. This is brilliant for developers that use a diverse set of tools like me.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Apr-16 19:35:11
Print Post

You can, indeed, run gcc. It's a full command-line version of Ubuntu running natively alongside Windows. Awesome.

Next thing to try is whether graphics programs will run using an X server on Windows.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 07-Apr-16 19:39:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
You can, indeed, run gcc. It's a full command-line version of Ubuntu running natively alongside Windows.
Alongside Windows? No, it's running ON windows
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Apr-16 20:16:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by TinyMongomery:
You can, indeed, run gcc. It's a full command-line version of Ubuntu running natively alongside Windows.
Alongside Windows? No, it's running ON windows

I may have lost something, but what is the point?

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 07-Apr-16 20:31:22
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I may have lost something, but what is the point?
This is the point
In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Developers can run Bash Shell and user-mode Ubuntu Linux binaries on Windows 10

This isn't Bash or Ubuntu running in a VM. This is a real native Bash Linux binary running on Windows itself.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Apr-16 22:38:17
Print Post

Strictly speaking, it's a separate subsystem which is running alongside the Windows subsystem. But the terms used aren't really that important; the point is that it is running natively, not in a VM.
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Apr-16 22:39:35
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

If this was of any use to you I think you would see the point immediately. It won't be of much use to the average user. To developers it's a boon.
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Thu 07-Apr-16 22:42:12
Print Post

Unfortunately, if you select the "Alongside Windows" install option for Ubuntu you install it dual-boot. Is that what you mean?
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Apr-16 23:01:50
Print Post

There's no "Alongside Windows" option when you install the Windows subsystem. The only choice you have is "enable Windows Subsystem for Linux (Beta)".

Windows is just a subsystem of the NT kernel and so is this new subsystem. The Linux subsystem doesn't run on top of the Windows subsystem, it is an entity on the same level, alongside the Windows subsystem. (NT did previously have a much more limited Posix subsystem, and an OS/2 subsystem, but they disappeared somewhere down the line. Neither of those were nearly as advanced as this new Linux subsystem.)

I suspect that you may be getting confused with a normal Ubuntu install. Any "alongside" option offered there is completely different to this integrated subsystem.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to