Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 11-Jun-16 08:44:13
Print Post

Win 10 network printer offline

[link to this post]

My network printer is constantly showing as offline in my Windows 10 desktop PC so I can't print to it. Other PC's including a Win 10 laptop and iPhone, iPad and Macbook air can print to it though.
Any suggestions?

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Jun-16 09:52:21
Print Post

Re: Win 10 network printer offline

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Try the windows trouble shooter for the affected machine and printer, right click the device in device and printers.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Jun-16 10:08:57
Print Post

Did it always after installing Win 10?

Semi-silly question, but have you rebooted both since the problem arose, to see if that solves it?

And as Banger suggests, it may have some rogue setting on your desktop machine, such as being disabled.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 11-Jun-16 10:10:23)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(committed) Sat 11-Jun-16 10:45:27
Print Post

My first approach here would be to delete the device and then add it again, just let Windows search for it.

For myself, I'd look at the current port settings for the printer, perhaps an IP/DHCP issue.

I've had the devil of a job getting an old HP A3 laser printer working on my network under Win10 although that was just a driver problem.

p.s. Robertos question as to whether it ever worked under Win10 goes to the heart of the problem I think.

Edited by longedge (Sat 11-Jun-16 10:46:57)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 11-Jun-16 20:35:36
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Tried that, doesn't fix it

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 11-Jun-16 20:36:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes it worked fine up to a couple of days ago. Now it says offline

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 11-Jun-16 20:38:49
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

I tried to remove it, now the status is "being removed" frown

Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Jun-16 20:55:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Yes it worked fine up to a couple of days ago. Now it says offline
I had to sort something similar out for a friend of mine a few weeks ago. In the end I found that they never turned the printer off, just let it go into standby. Powering it down fully and then back up unscrambled the internal knot it seemed to have got into and it then worked fine.

I have found occasionally that internal printer software does seem to occasionally get in a twist and needs a re-boot - aka power cycle.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Jun-16 21:03:44
Print Post

Perhaps it can't remove it if it can't see it. I thought Win 10 was supposed to less buggy than previous versions frown.

Is the printer connected direct to your router, and if so wired or wireless?

What about my reboot question, and might a router reboot stand a chance? I seem to remember something similar in the past on Win 8.1 and something from my machine was sitting invisible in limbo in the router. IIRC a router reboot with the printer turned off cleared it when the printer came back up - it printed whatever it was, and could be seen to be doing so at my machine.

Just looked at my HP Envy in control panel and can't see anything you might have accidentally set.

Edit - I see Tony posted something similar while I was drafting.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 11-Jun-16 21:05:26)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 11-Jun-16 22:26:41
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Tried that. No difference

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to