Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 28-Jun-16 00:25:54
Print Post

Windows 7 update notifications gone

[link to this post]

I have set Windows updates to notify me when new updates are available, but to give me the choice whether to download and install them.

This prevents me being inadvertently upgraded to Win 10, for example, or installing huge updates to software I never use.

Recently, it occurred to me I hadn't been notified of any updates to review for quite some time, and I assumed it was because they were at last tapering off.

However, on opening Windows Update manually from the Start button, I'm horrified to find I have not had any updates since April. It has continued to check for them every day, and most recently found some yesterday, but has not notified me about ANY of them, to give me the option to install.

It's not simply a case of the notification icon having gone missing from the task bar, because when I do "customize" to find and restore it, it's NOT in the list of hidden icons that I can put back on the bar.

The notification aspect seems to have stopped completely, whilst Windows Update itself is still running. I can find nothing that lets you separately restart the notifier.

I think I've had this problem before, and got the notifier back somehow, but can't remember how. And it obviously wasn't a permanent fix, as it's gone again.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Jun-16 01:15:33
Print Post

Re: Windows 7 update notifications gone

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

Are you using customise on the hidden icons icon, or on the Taskbar Properties page?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 28-Jun-16 08:52:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Edit: On the task bar icon (actually little arrow).

Very occasionally, a wanted icon (not always the updates one, specifically) disappears from the task bar, but can be quickly and easily restored by "customise". However, in this case, it's not in the selection of icons available.

Edited by TLM (Tue 28-Jun-16 08:54:06)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 28-Jun-16 10:22:43
Print Post

This may not work, but in a case where the little arrow when opened up didn't have a lost icon it worked for me:-

Right click an empty space on the taskbar. That opens a popup menu, with Properties at the bottom. Click that. Just over half way down the properties page there is something like "Customise notifications". I forget exactly and am nowhere near a Windows machine.

You should find it in there. Disabled.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 28-Jun-16 11:14:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hmmm.

It wasn't disabled, and was set to "show notifications only". Out of interest, I toggled it between that and: "Show icon and notifications", and got the error message: "This notification icon is not currently active. It will be shown next time it is active."

OK, much as I suspected - the notification service isn't actually running, even though the check for updates definitely is. So where do I find it, and how do I restart it?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 28-Jun-16 12:00:29
Print Post

There's a Windows Fixit for this https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 28-Jun-16 12:09:00
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks, but: "Troubleshooter couldn't identify the problem". frown

Such a pain - especially when I'm sure checks for updates are still working - it just doesn't want to tell me, and I don't know why. mad
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Tue 28-Jun-16 12:28:43
Print Post

The service name is wuaserv if you want to check it's running in services.

Use the Ginp Formula to determine if your vdsl2 connection is with or without G.INP.
Divide your IP Profile by your Sync Speed and the answer is 0.9669 (with) or 0.9679 (without)
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jun-16 12:29:04
Print Post

Rather than wasting time trying to fix it, cant you just open Windows Update once a week or something to see if there are any? It will still check for you, so wont take long to manually look.

MS very rarely release security updates outside of patch Tuesday anyway
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Jun-16 12:44:03
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) needs to be running. See this page which may be helpful.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to