Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User martinsq
(member) Fri 08-Jul-16 21:16:29
Print Post

Windows 10 install / update....

[link to this post]

So, I have decided to start installing Win 10 on multitude of family 'puters and laptops.
1. Downloaded .iso copy to main desktop (ethernet), took ages, then I found it needs 6 GB DVD, which I haven't got.
2. Repeat to download USB version.
3. Tidied the HD on old(ish) Dell laptop.
4. Attempt to install, only to be told that Win10 can't install, 'cos the CPU is incompatble.
5. Attempt to update Win 7, justs sits there for hours, no indication IF anything is available, or anything is happening..., gave up..!
5.Tidied the HD on new(ish) Dell laptop.
6. Attempt to install Win 10 on new(is) Dell laptop from USB.
7. Choose to 'Check for updates', might as well....
8. It has been 'checking' for two hours, no indication of any progress, buttons for 'Back' and Next' are disabled.......!!!

Microsoft ARE STUPID !!!
Linux, here I come....
Regards,
Martin
Standard User martinsq
(member) Fri 08-Jul-16 22:26:49
Print Post

Re: Windows 10 install / update....

[re: martinsq] [link to this post]

Continued:
9. Decided to abandon the Win 10 install, It said 'Setup is cleaning up before it closes'..., It MAY take few minutes.'
10. An hours later it's still the same ......ARGHHHH.

VERY STUPID !!!
Regards,
Martin
Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jul-16 19:46:52
Print Post

Just switch it off. Installing Linux will format the disk anyway, so it doesn't matter if it is corrupted.

===============================
Don't blame me - I voted Remain

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 16-Jul-16 23:33:01
Print Post

Hard to follow but if it told you the CPU is incompatible then what exactly are you expecting?

On older (i.e. inappropriate) hardware, Windows Update can take a couple of hours on the first run... Windows is not a cut down version of Linux, it is designed for end-user productivity etc etc and it isn't designed to run on 10 year old hardware.

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2
Standard User martinsq
(member) Sat 30-Jul-16 00:53:28
Print Post

OK, after MANY hours of tedious 'waiting for W10 response' I manged to 'update' 5 Laptops and one Desktop. Lots of little problems, mostly tidying up, and re-surecting applications which W10 ignored.
However I run to a major problems with the Desktop, which is the MOST important, 'cos it's used daily by 'her indoors' to earn living ! At one stage it come to halt of 20+ minutes with no signs of life, and no keys or mouse working. Fortunately I resisted temptation to switch it off, it then went into further long spell of inner contemplation, before coming to W10 life.
Alas neither the keyboard nor the mouse worked.
It took me 2 hours swaping keyboards, mouse, USB and PS2 ports, it worked, but just interminently. Eventualy I got it working, but it seems to need a USB re-insertions after each restart !
So, I have been asked 6 times by M$ what I think of W10, my answers were mostly unprintable, apart from my sugestion that they should produce a
Windows 10 NTNT version !
NTNT stand for No Touch and No Tiles !!!
Regards,
Martin
Standard User martinsq
(member) Tue 02-Aug-16 23:55:14
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
Hard to follow but if it told you the CPU is incompatible then what exactly are you expecting?

On older (i.e. inappropriate) hardware, Windows Update can take a couple of hours on the first run... Windows is not a cut down version of Linux, it is designed for end-user productivity etc etc and it isn't designed to run on 10 year old hardware.

You have miss read it. Yes, the old(ish) laptop was incompatible, and W10 gavee up reasonably quickly.
All the rest pertains to the new(ish) laptops and desktop which ARE compatible.
Martin

Edited by martinsq (Tue 02-Aug-16 23:56:28)

Print Thread

Jump to