Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User spranglebolt
(committed) Mon 11-Jul-16 21:36:40
Print Post

Outlook under Win 10

[link to this post]

There's an aggravation ongoing for a year without any constructive response from MS. The fundamental prob is in displaying a list of email contacts in Outlook running under Win10 to construct a distribution list, i.e. send to more than one recipient. Sometimes you need to do this when a New Mail is already opened on screen and you want to run through your contact list to make sure you don't forget someone. Anyroadup you shouldn't need to scribble a list of them beforehand, should you? This fault has been described in various threads on MSís own site. Just as an example thread, see the many posts on:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/app...

This wasn't a prob under previous Win versions! Since MS still ain't done nuffink, do any of you have a good solution please?
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Jul-16 21:53:06
Print Post

Re: Outlook under Win 10

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

Using Outlook 2010 and Outlook's contacts, as I've done for years, I can create a new email then select all the addressees from the contacts folder(s).

The only caveat is that the Contacts folder(s) need to be marked as "Show this folder as an e-mail Address book" on the folder's Properties / Outlook Address Book tab.

The linked posts you refer to seem to be discussing Windows Address book which, AIUI, was a separate application. If that's what you're using then sorry, I can't help.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement

Edited by cheshire_man (Mon 11-Jul-16 21:56:14)

Standard User longedge
(committed) Mon 11-Jul-16 22:04:38
Print Post

I run a small mailing list (about 100 people) using Word, Access and Outlook (merge document to email to addresses in a query). Everybody gets a personalised email addressed to them and nobody else. Works well for my puposes.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Jul-16 23:08:08
Print Post

I'm not sure I follow. With Outlook under Windows 10 I can:

1) Click "New Email"
2) Click "To"
3) Double-click one or more contacts from my Address Book
4) Click "Ok"

The email will then be sent to all of the contacts selected.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Mon 11-Jul-16 23:09:46)

(committed) Tue 12-Jul-16 20:53:10
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Thanks all! I'm even more confuzzled!

I have used both Gmail (for personal) and Outlook 2010 (for business) for years. In fact I still have no probs reading/writing emails which I choose to divert to outlook from from my gmail address (preferring the screen layout).

But you'll see from the thread referred to previously that I'm not alone in frustration after the Win 10 change - in fact 389 folk registered their agreement with just the very first post on that thread, and still counting.

So what's going on? Is it in any way related to the fact that when I enter from the new envelope icon on the taskbar, although at top left it shows Inbox-Outlook - Mail, at the foot of any email I create it now carries the immortal legend 'Sent from Mail for Windows 10'?

Net result is that I can't readily send a distributed email via outlook, and have to use gmail, which rather defeats the object!
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jul-16 21:43:53
Print Post

I'm confused by the 'Sent from Mail for Windows 10' bit, that sounds more like the Win10 Mail app than Outlook. It's just the Mail app's default signature and can be disabled.

Is Outlook synching (or attempting to synch) with your contacts with Gmail? That may be the issue. I've only ever used offline contacts stored on my PC, and I've never had an issue with it.

Oliver.
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Tue 12-Jul-16 22:23:41
Print Post

You're not using the desktop version of Outlook (part of the Office suite of programs) you are actually using the Windows Mail client that comes with Windows probably accessing an Outlook.com (previously known as Hotmail) email account.
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jul-16 22:25:32
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Good spot!

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
(committed) Wed 13-Jul-16 11:07:22
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Cheers, Ian!.

So, if Windows Mail client doesn't include the facility I am whingeing about (with so many other punters) that suggests that Win10 uses WMC as the default? Is there please a way of reverting to the tried and true Outlook?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Jul-16 11:46:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by spranglebolt:
So, if Windows Mail client doesn't include the facility I am whingeing about (with so many other punters) that suggests that Win10 uses WMC as the default? Is there please a way of reverting to the tried and true Outlook?

You can have both Win10 Mail and Outlook installed at the same time and launch either application as required, e.g. via the Start Menu.

Setting default programs: http://www.howtogeek.com/223144/how-to-set-your-defa...

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to