Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Jul-16 07:23:41
Print Post

W10 install update is back!

[link to this post]

Careful folks - the little blighter has re-appeared in my updates list. Surely they would have given up by now but apparently not.

Dell Inspiron 15, Win 8.1, IE11
8GB RAM
BT Infinity 2 via HH5
Standard User Mikey2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jul-16 14:03:22
Print Post

Re: W10 install update is back!

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

Only another 9 days to go, then once it has to be paid for, it should all stop.

Mike
If you have to swallow a frog, try not to think about it. If you have to swallow two frogs, don't swallow the smaller one first.

Edited by Mikey2 (Thu 21-Jul-16 15:55:52)

Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jul-16 14:23:37
Print Post

[re: Mikey2] [link to this post]

We shall see

MS already admitted they wont hit their target for Win 10 take up. So bet they extend the free offer

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Jul-16 14:41:33
Print Post

They made the fateful mistake of issuing them just a few days after Patch Tuesday on their own which made me curious to take a closer look rather than hit install on auto-pilot.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Thu 21-Jul-16 19:10:26
Print Post

Well they won't get me - mainly because Windows Update is totally messed up on this PC (I suspect I have to leave it for yet another day checking after trying fixit for one more time frown ) - I suspect it is going to need a rebuild, but not going to get one this month

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User martinsq
(member) Thu 21-Jul-16 23:07:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mikey2:

OH YES ?
You mean M$ is not going to try to flog W10 for £100 to 'refusnicks' .....?
Care to bet £100 ?

Regards,
Martin
Standard User rob54
(committed) Sat 23-Jul-16 00:30:13
Print Post

Well a couple of weeks ago I finally gave in not wanting to pass off the opportunity for a freebie. The little windows upgrade thing had been sitting there in Win 7 tray since July last year when I opted in. I read and read and decided most of the bad stuff you read is where people's updates went wrong for whatever reason. No-one goes to a forum to say it went well unless it's in response to someone who had problems. I took all possible precautions and thankfully it went OK. I don't like it very much, but like anything new....just a matter of getting used to it. At least there's no "little blighter" in the tray any longer!

Edit: A couple of times when I'd left the computer unattended, I saw thing that said we'll be updating you to Win 10 at (time) unless you chose another time or say no. I was able to catch it until I was ready to actively do it after a backup.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIndows 10 Home, Plusnet Unlimited ADSL (ex-o2 Broadband Standard), Norton Security,
Website & email hosting & domain name provider - www.tsohost.co.uk

Edited by rob54 (Sat 23-Jul-16 00:33:15)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jul-16 07:49:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by Mikey2:

Good the sooner it is over the better, get rid of the nags and the people calling me that their Windows 10 installation have gone belly up. Saying that I have had no nags for a while, not since I said do not nag me again and the amount of people calling me have slowed down.

I still got a feeling that Microsoft is going to have some other sort of offer as they are not going to reach their billion by 2020 they want.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User neo_wales
(learned) Sat 23-Jul-16 09:58:09
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

rob54, your right, we only really hear from people who have had problems. Its a new learning curve but when you get used to 10 its a cracking bit of software.

From my 'circle of friends' using 10 only one has had issues; the biggest is that she hated 10 although she'd never used it and went in with a closed mind. She's pretty much a Luddite with all things tech but is now begrudgingly using 10 and the moaning has stopped.

Robert
South Wales UK
Talk Talk FTTC
i7 PC
i7 Surface Pro 4
  Print Thread

Jump to