Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jul-16 14:55:22
Print Post

Administrator Mode??

[link to this post]

I'm using Win-10-Home (updated from Win-8.1) & I'm the ONLY User & I have Full-Administrator privileges.

However, sometimes when I try to delete a file (& some other activities), Win-10 will NOT let - citing that I need to be an "Administrator" & that I will need to refer to this fictitious person!

How do I "convince" my PC that I'm the "OWNER/ADMINISTRATOR" of my OWN PC?

Regards

Regards,
John
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sat 23-Jul-16 15:11:33
Print Post

Re: Administrator Mode??

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

Where is the file? Some directories are protected and you will have to give explicit permission whenever you try to modify them (or the files in them), even if you are an administrator. This was true of Windows 7 and it may be that more directories are protected in Windows 10. It's a real pain when applications want to store their config files in the program directories.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jul-16 15:28:11
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

It is a temporary Folder set up by my Virus/Internet Protection Software (Bullguard):- C:\ProgramData\BullGuard\BsFireTemp.

Apparently (as a User) I have virtually every type of access that an Administrator has, EXCEPT "Full Control" - I have Full Read/Write/Modify etc.

But the individual files have very restricted properties (when compared to an Administrator) - such as "Read-&-Execute" and "Read" only.

However, I've ONLY ever setup this PC as myself being the Administrator (but WITHOUT separate login for Administrator).

The individual files (which are ALL ref as "tmp" files) date back to 2010 & are NEVER accessed! Hence I'm trying to de-clutter my PC from redundant Files.

Regards.

Regards,
John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Sat 23-Jul-16 15:49:29
Print Post

You will need to take ownership of the file/folder
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jul-16 17:45:42
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian007jen:
You will need to take ownership of the file/folder

Yes, but how?

Regards,
John
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sat 23-Jul-16 18:09:12
Print Post

You can use a registry hack to get a context menu item. Alternatively, you could use this utility (I have used it in the past). Either should work just fine.
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jul-16 20:17:24
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

I tried both versions of the utility, but all I got was that the operation was unauthorised!!

Regards,
John
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 23-Jul-16 20:50:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by johnjburness:
It is a temporary Folder set up by my Virus/Internet Protection Software (Bullguard):- C:\ProgramData\BullGuard\BsFireTemp.

Apparently (as a User) I have virtually every type of access that an Administrator has, EXCEPT "Full Control" - I have Full Read/Write/Modify etc.

But the individual files have very restricted properties (when compared to an Administrator) - such as "Read-&-Execute" and "Read" only.

However, I've ONLY ever setup this PC as myself being the Administrator (but WITHOUT separate login for Administrator).

The individual files (which are ALL ref as "tmp" files) date back to 2010 & are NEVER accessed! Hence I'm trying to de-clutter my PC from redundant Files.

Regards.
If you right-click on the folder when in File Explorer and click on Properties at the bottom you should get a small window with several tabs, one of which is Security. I think you need to edit your own permissions in there (I see SYSTEM, "me" and Administrators). Either with the Edit button or the Advanced one. Crazily, you can do this because at this point it accepts you are an Administrator.

IIRC I have always had to do this on earlier versions of Windows as the "me" does not have the full permissions for everything preset. Only a subset.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 59500/14989kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jul-16 20:56:08
Print Post

Try removing the file with http://filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

It might be less hassle to just boot into a live CD or windows setup and delete the file from there.

ZeN Fibre Unlimited 2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Jul-16 22:41:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by johnjburness:

Regards.
If you right-click on the folder when in File Explorer and click on Properties at the bottom you should get a small window with several tabs, one of which is Security. I think you need to edit your own permissions in there (I see SYSTEM, "me" and Administrators). Either with the Edit button or the Advanced one. Crazily, you can do this because at this point it accepts you are an Administrator.

IIRC I have always had to do this on earlier versions of Windows as the "me" does not have the full permissions for everything preset. Only a subset.

Tried that, doesn't let me change anything!!

Regards,
John
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to