Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Aug-16 19:10:26
Print Post

Avoiding accidental use of OneDrive - Win 10

[link to this post]

I was forever finding things had got saved in there when I never wished to use it. I kept having to move them out to my intended target. No doubt there is a slicker way of preventing this, but I never got round to looking for it.

In the past I always kept my Windows login on the computer local, not to my Microsoft account, but slipped into using the account with Win 8 and couldn't be bothered to revert.

For some reason a month or so ago I got worried about something, so changed my Microsoft password. Bingo!

When my machine boots now I have to sign into my account as before, but after a few seconds up comes the OneDrive login screen. Which I simply close. Nothing now gets saved into the OneDrive folder/sub-folders.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 09-Aug-16 19:25:23)

Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Aug-16 19:19:54
Print Post

Re: Avoiding accidental use of OneDrive

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Alternatively, you can just disable it and not get nagged with logon screens: https://support.office.com/en-GB/article/Turn-off-or...

===============================
Don't blame me - I voted Remain
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Aug-16 19:31:15
Print Post

Re: Avoiding accidental use of OneDrive - Win 10

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

Thanks Tiny. I did say I expected a more official way, but I shall do that "Disable" in a mo. I've just edited the Subject as well to say "Win 10".

I see that if there are any files in the local folders they are removed but left in the cloud version. So before I disable it, do you know if having emptied the local ones in the past, any files will currently be in the cloud, and if they are how to get rid of them?

I have now had to accept receiving ads and such from using that link frown. MS are quite sickening these days.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 09-Aug-16 19:31:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Aug-16 20:35:36
Print Post

My onedrive keeps crashing on processing changes when I add files, onedrive support is clueless. Its quite easy to revert to a local account as onedrive support had me do then back again to an MS account in order to fix onedrive but it didnt work, its in the settings.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Aug-16 20:44:34
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I've never thought OneDrive a good idea. I steer clear so much as possible of all cloud storage, particularly that from the big boys.

Dropbox I do like.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-Aug-16 22:23:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I've never thought OneDrive a good idea. I steer clear so much as possible of all cloud storage, particularly that from the big boys.

Dropbox I do like.

Same here, but even with drop box I only have two spreadsheet files in it and they are password locked, not that anyone would have any idea what they mean.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 09-Aug-16 22:27:45
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Mine is basically to sync photos and video clips between my phones, iPad and computers. None of which are a security problem. At worst they can suggest the area I live in and places I visit.

OneDrive grabs as much as I fail to prevent from what can be important data.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 09-Aug-16 22:29:03)

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 10-Aug-16 07:48:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Mine is basically to sync photos and video clips between my phones, iPad and computers. None of which are a security problem. At worst they can suggest the area I live in and places I visit.

OneDrive grabs as much as I fail to prevent from what can be important data.

Not sure what you mean, surly One drive only grabs what you put in it's folder? I have not used One drive for years, I do not even have a MS account anymore.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 10-Aug-16 09:23:46
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

When you download something and "Save as", which is what I usually do because I like things to be within a dedicated folder per product within the download folder, the download folder structure is presented to choose from.

If OneDrive is active I find it isn't the Download folder within user Bob, it is within OneDrive. It is easy not to notice that, because the structure looks correct, and only discover it has happened when, or even after, I click the downloaded file to unzip it and install whatever it is. Go looking for part of it in Bob/Downloads/... And it isn't there.

Print Thread

Jump to