Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User donkiddik
(newbie) Fri 12-Aug-16 21:31:12
Print Post

iPv6 not working after W10 update

[link to this post]

Hi, after W10 updated two nights ago I no longer have iPv6 enabled, any answers as to how to get it back much appreciated, also my speed now has jumped from 61mbps to 69 mbps, it may be just a coincidence!
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Aug-16 23:46:15
Print Post

Re: iPv6 not working after W10 update

[re: donkiddik] [link to this post]

I doubt the loss of your IPv6 connectivity and the Windows update have anything to do with each other. This comes to you from a machine with Windows 10 Professional Version 1511 and the latest Windows updates - it has perfect IPv6 connectivity. I just fired up a virtual machine running Windows 10 Professional Version 1607 (the Anniversary Update) with the latest Windows updates installed and that, too, has perfect IPv6 connectivity.

The increase in speed suggests that you FTTC connection resynchronised. It is possible you are now connected to a gateway that doesn't provide IPv6 connectivity, especially if you are on an ISP where IPv6 is being tested, rather than being a fully supported part of the package.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User donkiddik
(newbie) Sat 13-Aug-16 00:00:28
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
I doubt the loss of your IPv6 connectivity and the Windows update have anything to do with each other. This comes to you from a machine with Windows 10 Professional Version 1511 and the latest Windows updates - it has perfect IPv6 connectivity. I just fired up a virtual machine running Windows 10 Professional Version 1607 (the Anniversary Update) with the latest Windows updates installed and that, too, has perfect IPv6 connectivity.

The increase in speed suggests that you FTTC connection resynchronised. It is possible you are now connected to a gateway that doesn't provide IPv6 connectivity, especially if you are on an ISP where IPv6 is being tested, rather than being a fully supported part of the package.

Many thanks for your response, I have just looked into the settings on the new smart hub and although it says that Hub iPv6 is enabled it also says IPv6 network status is disabled, so I think you are correct, I have only been on Infinity 2 for about 2 weeks and it was stable at 61mbps till a couple of days ago, it must have been coincidence it occurred at the time of W10 updates. Thanks again, I'll wait and see if it ever comes back.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 13-Aug-16 00:07:04
Print Post

Try rebooting the Home Hub occasionally. Always well inside daylight hours. (Dawn, dusk and night-time are not good to get fast connections but good to get stable ones. For the vast majority of us, fast works). Maybe every two or three day? Or just once at the weekend if you are out at work all day in the week.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User donkiddik
(newbie) Sat 13-Aug-16 21:54:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Try rebooting the Home Hub occasionally. Always well inside daylight hours. (Dawn, dusk and night-time are not good to get fast connections but good to get stable ones. For the vast majority of us, fast works). Maybe every two or three day? Or just once at the weekend if you are out at work all day in the week.

Cheers, will try during the week
Standard User donkiddik
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-16 20:33:15
Print Post

Just checked and without me rebooting router iPv6 is enabled again, and my speeds have also increased from 69mbps to 72mbps so BT may have resynced my router, let's hope all stays ok now, thanks for all replies
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 17-Aug-16 22:38:19
Print Post

That's good.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to