Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Aug-16 14:38:32
Print Post

Sync'ing MSO Outlook emails across 2 PCs

[link to this post]

An elderly friend has a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 10, both running MS Office (I think it's MSO 2003 on desktop and MSO 2010 on the laptop).

She has an ISP email address which is used from the desktop and a gmail address which she uses on the laptop. She's asked me if she can use the ISP address on the laptop.

Clearly the simple answer is yes. ButÖ

So her ISP emails are held on the client and not on the web. The problem, as I see it, is that using the laptop for ISP emails would have one (or perhaps both) of two problems.

If she uses MS Office Outlook on the laptop then and emails sent and received on the laptop would be held on the laptop Ė and vice versa for the desktop. Even if the laptop was set not to delete emails from the server so that such emails would also appear on the desktop, emails she sends from the laptop would not be get to the desktop.

If she uses web mail from the laptop then the desktop would have no knowledge of emails sent.

I donít know if thereís any way of synchronising the Sent Items box. I donít know whether using IMAP emails rather than POP3 would give any benefit.

Though not certain but I'm assuming that she wouldn't be using both PCs at essentially the same time.

And no, she won't change from using her ISP Email address. She's knows the downsides if she ever changes her ISP so it's not worth even trying to go down that path.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Aug-16 22:42:59
Print Post

Re: Sync'ing MSO Outlook emails across 2 PCs

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
I donít know whether using IMAP emails rather than POP3 would give any benefit.
This is exactly what IMAP is intended for.I use it to synchronize the same mail accounts on two computers, two tablets and a phone. Works a treat.

===============================
Don't blame me - I voted Remain
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Aug-16 03:15:28
Print Post

Who is her ISP? Not all ISPs provide IMAP email.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-Aug-16 07:54:38
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Eclipse, same as me, and they do.

Tony
Happily running Windows 10 Pro on both desktop and laptop
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 16-Aug-16 18:20:15
Print Post

As has already been said, IMAP is the fundamental part of the answer. Make sure you back up the Outlook .pst files before switching over to IMAP, as you will need to upload all the existing e-mail to the IMAP server in order to access it from other devices, and the possibility exists for this to go wrong.

The free MailStore Home can be a useful tool for backing up Outlook and data on an IMAP server.

If your friend is really still using Outlook 2003, I would think seriously about continuing to use it. Office 2003 and earlier are all End of Life, meaning there will be no further security updates. Seeing as e-mail clients are a common source of security issues, using an old and unsupported mail client seems unwise.

Once your friend has switched to IMAP, there are plenty of good free mail clients available, such as Thunderbird. That said, if she owns a retail copy of Office 2010, she likely has the right to install that single copy of Office on a desktop and a laptop, so long as the two are not used simultaneously.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to