Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User spranglebolt
(committed) Mon 22-Aug-16 13:23:45
Print Post

LastPass on Edge

[link to this post]

Can someone please tell me if LastPass is available through Edge yet?

Seems strange still to have to go through IE!
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 22-Aug-16 13:39:05
Print Post

Re: LastPass on Edge

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

You can get it via the Windows Insider program.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Aug-16 13:49:40
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

No need for Windows Insider

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Mon 22-Aug-16 13:52:57)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Mon 22-Aug-16 14:01:25
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

The reviews don't look too promising. Also, Edge is telling me that to install any extension, I need to upgrade to Windows despite the fact that I'm using Windows 10. I think I'll pass.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Aug-16 14:34:21
Print Post

Upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Windows 10 Version 1607), then you can install extensions in Edge including LastPass.

Version 1607 is the latest mainstream version of Windows 10 - as has been said, there is no need to join Windows Insider. That said, it is worth checking the compatibility of any software that hooks into the OS at a low level before your upgrade, such as antivirus software or VPN client software, also for any relevant driver updates for your machine.

I've had no problem upgrading to Version 1607 on my laptop and Windows 10 VMs.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User spranglebolt
(committed) Mon 22-Aug-16 17:45:41
Print Post

Thanks for these responses. I will persevere.

Have already done the Win10 anniversary update and am fully UTD but LastPass' own forum still seems to give a confusing picture. It's odd that some posts seem to think it's LastPass fault that it hasn't been working.

Would have thought that it was a MS responsibility to make sure that all established and current software they promised would continue to work with Win10 would actually do so! Am I being na´ve - or just cynical as usual?.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Aug-16 19:43:11
Print Post

I have LastPass installed in Edge on Windows 10 Version 1607 and have been able to log in to LastPass (including 2FA with a Yubikey), display my vault and log into these forums using LastPass. However, I don't use Edge as my primary browser, so am not best placed to know about any installation or compatibility issues.

thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-Aug-16 21:14:17
Print Post

Stupid that you have to go through MS store for extensions for Edge.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 22-Aug-16 22:15:57
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Stupid that you have to go through MS store for extensions for Edge.

Any reason why you object? Browser extensions are an obvious route to introduce malware, so all the major browsers have moved to a trusted extension ecosystem for non-developer/development editions of the browser.

Chrome extensions must now be installed via the Chrome web store. Chrome has already discontinued support for binary extensions other than the Flash plug-in bundled with the browser, which is already due to be be removed in the future.

Firefox add-ons for the release version of the browser must be digitally signed by Mozilla; I'm not sure if the about:config work-round to allow the use of unsigned extensions still works in Firefox 48 as I no longer have any need for my old unsigned extensions. Mozilla are in the process of deprecating the external binary extensions API; the only non-bundled binary extension that works in the relatively new Windows x64 version of Firefox is Flash (so you cannot use Java with the x64 build of Firefox), this restriction is due to be extended to the x86 version in a future version of Firefox, and Flash support will eventually be discontinued entirely.

As the move to trusted browser ecosystems with no external binary extension support (beyond Flash for a limited period) has or is taking place in other browsers, also Microsoft had the advantage of a clean start when implementing Edge extensions, it seems obvious for Microsoft to use a trust system based on the Microsoft Store infrastructure for Edge extensions. The barriers to getting a Microsoft Store account to distribute an extension are fairly low.

I would rather we lived in a world where trusted computing was still unnecessary, but I think the case for technologies like UEFI Secure Boot and closed browser ecosystems is now compelling considering what we know about the threat environment. Unless security is either mandated or the default, most users will stick with insecure default options out of ignorance, lethargy and/or performance concerns.

Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Aug-16 22:55:46
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

I agree 100%. It makes a huge amount of sense for programs like this to be closely controlled rather than accepting any old malware.

===============================
Don't blame me - I voted Remain
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to