Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Aug-16 02:23:12
Print Post

Scanner and Camera Wizard Stopped Working Win 10 v. 1607

[link to this post]

I don't use my scanner much but it was certainly working under the Scanner and Camera Wizard before the Anniversary Update. When I came today to scan some important docs. it scanned OK but when I came to save them it came up with "Access Denied" altho' the save folder has all permissions.

I had to install some lousy app to complete my scans, which shows there's nowt wrong with the h/ware but the issue lies with the s/ware, Scanner and Camera Wizard.

I also read today on the news that this Update has caused webcams to stop working & MS is looking into it. Could their be some connection?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Aug-16 04:04:45
Print Post

Re: Scanner and Camera Wizard Stopped Working Win 10 v. 1607

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The webcam issue in Version 1607 is to do with the new facility to share a webcam stream between multiple consumers. Version 1607 works OK with webcams that send uncompressed video, but fails with compressed video, as is typical of 1080p USB 2.0 webcams operating at full resolution and refresh rate. There is a registry key that disables the new behaviour if necessary.

Your issue sounds like something entirely different - you can acquire images OK from your scanner, but cannot save them. This sounds more like a filesystem permissions issue or possibly an antivirus application that is incompatible with Version 1607.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 24-Aug-16 08:47:34
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Is that a scanner wizard thing built into Windows 10? There is a scan app in Windows 10, but it is not that great.

When I was using Windows 10 I had problems with getting my scanner with it as well, mainly because Windows 10 would keep rejecting the drivers. Got it working in the end and used the scanner own software,. that works even if it was made for Windows 7. Drivers was Windows 8.

My scanner is a HP, it is only a scanner, no printer.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Aug-16 09:14:32
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
When I was using Windows 10 I had problems with getting my scanner with it as well, mainly because Windows 10 would keep rejecting the drivers. Got it working in the end and used the scanner own software,. that works even if it was made for Windows 7. Drivers was Windows 8.

I use Windows 10 Version 1607, but scan documents directly into Adobe Acrobat DC or ABBYY FineReader 12 (depending on whether I merely need a digital copy or high quality OCR - FineReader produces better quality OCR, but is slower and more awkward to use if all I need is a bitmap with searchable text of reasonable quality). Photos are scanned directly into a photo app.

I personally don't see the point of the Windows scanning app. The only software I use from the scanner manufacturer is the driver.

My main scanner is currently a HP colour laser all-in-one with built in Ethernet and duplex document feeder. It's an excellent machine for archiving documents.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Sep-16 22:51:23
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

I eventually found another scanner program "Windows Fax and Scan" present that I don't remember seeing before, which uses the same GUI front-end as "Scanner and Camera Wizard". This worked saving to the same folder. So it's not a permissions issue as far as filestore is concerned.

I don't remember 2 of them when I 1st set Win 10 for scanning, so I wonder if it came along with 1607.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to