Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User samulam
(committed) Wed 24-Aug-16 21:26:08
Print Post

Is there a limit for attachment size in win 10

[link to this post]

Hi, I tried to send five photos each about 3 meg roughly, but failed. However I succeeded in sending the photos in five emails. I had the same issue with Windows live mail and windows mail. If there is a limit, does anybody know what it is?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 24-Aug-16 22:29:06
Print Post

Re: Is there a limit for attachment size in win 10

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

Maybe 10MB from whatever email system you are using. Not Win 10 itself. What was the one you tried before Live Mail and Windows Mail?

Does this page help? I have my doubts but worth checking.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Aug-16 22:40:50
Print Post

The limit is almost certainly one applied by your ISP or by the destination mail server. I'm not aware of any such limits in Windows itself.

===============================
Don't blame me - I voted Remain

Edited by TinyMongomery (Wed 24-Aug-16 22:41:33)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Aug-16 08:57:17
Print Post

What email provider are you using? seems like a limit put on by them.

We used to have this problem years ago, but I thought the limit was a lot more these days.

Maybe the best way would have been to stick the photos in a cloud server and then provide a link, like one drive as you can do it with that, so I have been told.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Aug-16 17:36:25
Print Post

As the others have suggested, this is likely to be a limit set by the receiving Email Server (although probably your own ISP's Email Server possibly also sets an outgoing limit).

My personal experience is that the majority of Email Servers sets this limit at 10MB, but I have seen as low as 5MB.

Strangely enough, I have seen a Company's email server where there was an external limit (this was 10MB) but did allow much larger attachment limits "in-house".

My own recommendation, unless you have specific evidence to the contrary, would be to keep your attachments to below 5MB!

Regards,
John
Standard User captain666
(member) Wed 31-Aug-16 18:54:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by samulam:
Hi, I tried to send five photos each about 3 meg roughly, but failed. However I succeeded in sending the photos in five emails. I had the same issue with Windows live mail and windows mail. If there is a limit, does anybody know what it is?

I did have an issue with my laptop not sending emails with attachments (outlook 2010). I tried exactly the same email/attachments on my tablet (outlook 2013) and it sent with no issues.

Can you at least send an email to the recipient without attachments? If no issues that way then it could be that you've hit a daily limit for sending emails with your ISP for the daily limit. Normally this wouldn't effect most people unless they are trying to send over 100 emails each day with attachments

Some older info re attachments

Maximum email size limit for Gmail, Outlook.com, Yahoo, AOL, etc

Here is the values list of the maximum email size limit for various email providers and email client applications. These email size limits usually apply on both sending and receiving emails.

Email Provider

Maximum Email Size Limit

Gmail 25Mb (per email sent or received)
Outlook.com and Hotmail 10Mb (per file attachment) or 300Gb (only for files attached via SkyDrive!)
Yahoo Mail 25Mb (per email) or unlimited (only for files attached via DropBox limited by your DropBox account size)
AOL 25Mb (per email sent or received)
Mail.com 50Mb (per attachment) and 10Mb (per file)
Zoho Mail 12Mb (per email) and 10Mb (per file)
GoDaddy Workspace 30Mb (per email) and 20Mb (per file)

Email Client

Maximum Email Size Limit

Microsoft Outlook 20Mb (per attachment)
Mozilla Thunderbird unlimited
Windows Live Mail 10Gb (per email) and no more than 50Mb per file attached
  Print Thread

Jump to