Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 30-Aug-16 23:48:04
Print Post

Problems with mass storage device with Windows 7

[link to this post]

OK, I had an excessive choice of which forum to post this on, as it could be a hardware problem, a Windows problem, a driver problem, or could even have gone in Photography, Video and Graphics, as it's photos I'm trying to read from it...

I opted for this forum because I think it the best-frequented of all the options, so more likely to yield an answer, but that doesn't mean I think it's necessarily a Windows problem.

I have a little universal card reader, bought some time ago, and last used with a different laptop, and different version of Windows,

I plugged it into this laptop, running Windows 7, and Windows took a month of Sundays to find and install the drivers (for the multiple types of card), and then said several of them had failed.

Went into device management, which said it wasn't working (no surprise) and ran troubleshoot - which failed to fix it (just said 'searching for drivers' forever, until I quit).

Ejected it, started again from scratch - ignored it and got on with something else. Miraculously, it seemed to find and install the drivers this time - Device Management said it's working. Good.

Next step is try to read the card I want to read, which has photos on it. It's a 4GB SDHC card. I don't think it's full, but it could be.

OK, so I don't think it's going to read (up to) 4 Gigs instantly, but I expect it to eventually.

The device is recognised, and the indicator light on it goes red ("Don't remove me, something's trying to read/write"), so something's being attempted.

But the green progress bar on the file manager just inches along - literally takes about ten minutes to traverse the length of it, and NEVER stops - never shows the directory contents.

The progress bar actually extends beyond the allocated space for it, but the operation still never completes.

I must have left it about 20 minutes now - it still thinks it's reading it, but is obviously never going to finish.

So now that it's reporting drivers are installed and working, and device is available, I don't know what's left to fix.

Any troubleshooting suggestions?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 31-Aug-16 00:45:36
Print Post

Re: Problems with mass storage device with Windows 7

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

i wonder if whatever software you're trying to get to read it is indexing first?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 31-Aug-16 01:04:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's just ordinary default Windows Explorer (not IE Explorer). It should see external media as just another disk.

In fact, it eventually hung Windows Explorer altogether. I couldn't "eject" the device - nothing.

Restarting Explorer didn't work. Eventually had to shutdown the laptop and unplug the reader, to be able to view the directories on "Computer".

Edit: OK, going to do it a different way now, with the card still in the camera. Earlier, I couldn't find the USB cable for the camera, which was why I was trying to use the card reader - but either should work.

Windows is "seeing" the camera as an external storage device, just as it should. Don't know why it won't see the card reader the same way (same card, so it's not a corrupted card).

/Sigh

Edited by TLM (Wed 31-Aug-16 01:42:39)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Wed 31-Aug-16 08:08:05
Print Post

Perhaps the camera has formatted the card in a proprietary manner which isn't recognised by your card reader.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 31-Aug-16 08:32:47
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Dunno. I had in mind that I'd used the reader before, with cards from the same camera, but can't positively confirm that.

I don't believe I use SD cards, except for photos, so if I've ever used the universal reader before (I'm sure I have), it must have been for those - the only unknown is whether it was the same camera, or a different one, as I have about three in the house, and one takes two types of card, so it might be that I've never tried it with cards from this particular camera, but the rest were OK.

Usual lack of any helpful Windows error message - or, in this case, any error message at all. It doesn't say: "unrecognized format" or anything. Just never reads it, and ultimately hangs Explorer.
Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Wed 31-Aug-16 10:02:42
Print Post

It sounds like either the card or reader is borked. I had similar problems with a USB memory stick. Is the memory card still usable in a camera?
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 31-Aug-16 12:11:38
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

The card is definitely OK - it will read it from the camera.

It's also not the USB port - which had occurred to me - because it's fine with the camera plugged into the same port.

So yes, it must be either the reader itself, or the camera uses a proprietary format which the driver for the reader is not able to cope with.

It's a shame, as although I've got round the problem - for now - I think it's always useful to be able to read the cards independently of the camera.

If the camera conks out or is lost, I won't be able read the cards anymore using anything else? That's a serious limitation.

If I was organised, and always uploaded every image I might ever want, shortly after capturing it, it might not be an issue, but I'm not that organised.

I sometimes only make copies of a selection of the best ones, and sometimes don't get round to uploading at all, for months or even years.

If it's dependant on continuing to have a working camera available, that's a single point of failure... frown
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Aug-16 15:30:52
Print Post

Data should never be in one place alone, memory cards can and do fail as all other electrical equipment can. Downloading to my Pictures folder and using File History with an external drive to automatically back it all up is my preferred data storage route. Windows 7 doesn't have File History but does have its own backup tool. Then I just wipe the data off the device/card ready for the next series of pictures.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Wed 31-Aug-16 15:31:28)

Print Thread

Jump to