Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Sep-16 19:12:59
Print Post

Windows Live Mail end of support date

[link to this post]

Just seen a note on Microsoft's website that Windows Live Mail will be axed on 10 January 2017: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17779/downl...

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 06-Sep-16 05:16:32
Print Post

Re: Windows Live Mail end of support date

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I've never once seen WLM updated in all the years I've had it. So it's not gonna make much difference.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 12-Sep-16 08:55:17
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

microsoft the company that keeps abandoning its products,

never commit to any of their services.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Sep-16 09:28:04
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

To be fair to Microsoft, the world keeps moving. Just as Outlook Express became dated and was replaced by Windows Live Mail, it probably made more sense for the free e-mail program to become a Windows Store application. Mail and Calendar on Windows 10 (and possibly Windows 8.1 - I never used Windows 8 or 8.1) is functional but basic.

If you want a 'full feature' offering, there is Microsoft Outlook 2016 - at a cost, of course. It's not perfect, especially when used as an IMAP client, but it works. There are free alternatives, such as Thunderbird. It's probably time for Windows Live Mail to disappear. It doesn't work with outlook.com any more, it hasn't received any attention for many years, and there are better free alternatives.

There has been an industry-wide move to more aggressive deprecation of old, end of life, software - something that has particularly concerned Microsoft, with the high number of Windows XP installations still in active use at the end of life date. Microsoft is now much more prominent about product lifecycles and typically removes downloads for end of life products on the EoL date. Microsoft have also taken to archiving support content for end of life versions is archived.

So many security issues arise through old technologies and implementations. Thankfully the industry has moved on from not deprecating anything for fear of the resulting compatibility issues. I'm waiting for the day when I can remove Flash Player from my machines and feel secure in not breaking any web sites.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Sep-16 11:21:15
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Since when did Windows live mail stopped working with Outlook.com? My brother phoned me up a couple of days back to say his windows live mail was not picking up the mail from his hotmail, I told him as a temp thing to do it via the browser, He knows very little about computers apart from turning them on and using the software he uses and I have never used Windows live, even if I did set it up for him, so I know very little about it, so trying to explain things on the phone would be difficult.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 12-Sep-16 11:55:30
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Since when did Windows live mail stopped working with Outlook.com?

Windows Live Mail stopped working with outlook.com earlier this year, as this Microsoft blog explains (click).

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 12-Sep-16 12:46:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by David_W:
So many security issues arise through old technologies and implementations.

I'm still using 2 desktops and a laptop printserver with XP on them. No virus' or malware on them and as far as I know I have not had any intrusion.

AVG antivirus (free) and ZoneAlarm firewall (free) work wonders.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 12-Sep-16 13:09:43
Print Post

the difference is the examples you gave lasted a lot longer than 4 years.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Sep-16 13:17:35
Print Post

Windows Live Mail stopped working with outlook.com earlier this year, as this Microsoft blog explains (click).

What they didn't explain though is that you can still use WLM with Outlook.com with POP3 or IMAP, albeit losing calendar and contact synch which requires EAS. Possibly they omitted mentioning this solution in the knowledge that the software would be fully retired soon.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 12-Sep-16 14:02:29
Print Post

Windows Live Mail stopped working with outlook.com earlier this year
Not for me it didn't! Nor did Outlook with its Hotmail Connector. I can still access my Hotmail (aka Outlook.com) emails using both.

Altho' I'm anticipating a change as given in Outlook.com migration changes; What do I need to know and do? but even this is surmountable smile.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to