Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User martinsq
(member) Tue 13-Sep-16 21:46:09
Print Post

How to KILL Edge ?

[link to this post]

Someone sent me a PDF file attachment to email. When I click on it, it opens in Edge, which renders it badly. So I instruct Adobe Reader that it is the default PDF app, but within seconds Win10 comes back, complains about it and changes it back to Edge again.....ARGHHH !!!
Anyone knows how to stop Win10 from doing it ?
Since I have no intention of using Edge, I thought I could uninstall it, but there is no option of doing that, it's hidden somewhere in the bowels (right place for it) of Win10...frown
Bl**dy M$ being bolshy again !
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 14-Sep-16 00:02:42
Print Post

Re: How to KILL Edge ?

[re: martinsq] [link to this post]

It took me a while a few months ago, so not sure if this is the route:-

Control panel (found by right-clicking the Windows icon at the bottom left) >> Programs >> Set your default programs.

I think that is where I set IE to be my default browser instead of Edge, and Adobe Acrobat Reader for PDFs. Try it.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Sep-16 00:22:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Settings -> System -> Default Apps is the preferred route in Windows 10. I would then choose "Set defaults by app" (at which point Control Panel will appear, even in Windows 10 Version 1607), select your preferred PDF program, then "Set this program as default".

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-16 09:44:03
Print Post

[re: martinsq] [link to this post]

David_W posted the correct way. Windows 10 is a pain in the neck for making software default, you have to go though hopes sometimes.
so much easier in other versions of Windows, just right click on the file and select open with and add the software you want to use as default, Windows 10 do not like that.
Microsoft again want you to use their trash apps.

So glad i have stayed with Windows 8.1

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 14-Sep-16 10:56:25
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

David's way takes you to the same place as mine. Except more steps smile.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-16 11:08:49
Print Post

The dual control panel thing in Windows 10 is a mess. It's especially apparent in things like File History, where some settings can be changed in either interface, whereas other settings can only be changed in one interface or the other.

Worse than that, reconnecting a backup drive in File History after a SSD/HDD crash in the new interface does not offer the user access to their backed-up files, whereas in the old interface it does. Crazy, especially for something as important as the default backup application.

Oliver.
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Sep-16 11:55:56
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
The dual control panel thing in Windows 10 is a mess.
As every version of Windows 10 is released, more moves over to the new Settings app and disappears from Control Panel.

The really annoying thing in Windows 10 is that some settings cannot be changed in Settings or Control Panel - such as certain networking settings. The easiest way to change those settings are PowerShell applets. This is progress...

Generally I like the Windows 10 interface, but the Settings / Control Panel mess really does need sorting out, including the ability to set all the advanced options that were on the Windows 7 Control Panel.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-16 18:44:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
David's way takes you to the same place as mine. Except more steps smile.

Fair enough, it have been a while since I have used Windows 10, since December or around there.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-16 18:47:23
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
As every version of Windows 10 is released, more moves over to the new Settings app and disappears from Control Panel.

The really annoying thing in Windows 10 is that some settings cannot be changed in Settings or Control Panel - such as certain networking settings. The easiest way to change those settings are PowerShell applets. This is progress...

Generally I like the Windows 10 interface, but the Settings / Control Panel mess really does need sorting out, including the ability to set all the advanced options that were on the Windows 7 Control Panel.

And every main update will take more and more control away from the user, we have seen it from the start with not being to control updates, now in the new update, cortana can not be disabled and can not get rid of the lock screen.
How much more control will vanish?

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
  Print Thread

Jump to