Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Sep-16 19:28:21
Print Post

Windows Updates are changing

[link to this post]

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/201...

From next month. So instead of single updates we can decline, they will be bundled into 1 installer package that we cant say no to without declining the rest. I can see MS offering Windows 10 free again and bundling some updater inside their big monthly updates
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Sep-16 21:28:23
Print Post

Re: Windows Updates are changing

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

i have solved the problem, i will not allow Windows 8.1 to update anymore. Problem solved.
No doubt MS will install telemetric this way to people like myself who have stopped it being installed.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Sep-16 06:48:11
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I do wonder how secure 7 and 8 would be without updating ever again. Seems we only get a handful of security fixes each month anyway, and providing you dont click or dodgy links, visit dodgy websites etc you're probably ok to never update again?

7 and 8 been out long enough for the major flaws to be fixed already

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-16 08:20:39
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Windows 8 and certainly Windows 7 will not have any new features added, not that I want any added for Windows 8.1, it does the job I need of it.

Windows 7 update is broke anyway, I had to sort out a laptop thjat had Windows 7 on it, reinstalled Windows 7 and it will not update, I hae tried downloading different patches first and installing them from MS, which people have said will start the update process and it still will not update, so maybe this new update system will do the job for it. Not my laptop, so all I want to do is get it updated.

MS is getting worse, they are taking more and more user control away from windows, one of the reasons I will not go to windows 10.,

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Sep-16 09:06:37
Print Post

The July update for the Windows Update installer is meant to fix long scanning times.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3172605

Make sure you have that installed. Alot say it works

Edited by bobble_bob (Thu 15-Sep-16 09:07:42)

Standard User BB4Tickton
(committed) Thu 15-Sep-16 12:17:16
Print Post

I had a similar problem with a fresh install of Windows 7, just would not update after leaving for 24 hours!
I also tried all the supposed fixes suggested, but nothing worked.

What fixed it was to use WSUS offline updater:
WSUS
Basically it downloads all the files, then you run the separate installer
After all the installation of all files, the Windows Update started working again.

You can then keep all the files for the next time you re-install.

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
Windows 8 and certainly Windows 7 will not have any new features added, not that I want any added for Windows 8.1, it does the job I need of it.

Windows 7 update is broke anyway, I had to sort out a laptop thjat had Windows 7 on it, reinstalled Windows 7 and it will not update, I hae tried downloading different patches first and installing them from MS, which people have said will start the update process and it still will not update, so maybe this new update system will do the job for it. Not my laptop, so all I want to do is get it updated.

MS is getting worse, they are taking more and more user control away from windows, one of the reasons I will not go to windows 10.,
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-Sep-16 12:22:18
Print Post

[re: BB4Tickton] [link to this post]

The fix that apparently does work needs another non related KB to work. So it could be you never were offered the update because you didn't have the prerequisite KB.

By doing it offline you were offered all updates and im guessing the fix was in this
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Sep-16 08:06:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by BB4Tickton:
I had a similar problem with a fresh install of Windows 7, just would not update after leaving for 24 hours!
I also tried all the supposed fixes suggested, but nothing worked.

What fixed it was to use WSUS offline updater:
WSUS
Basically it downloads all the files, then you run the separate installer
After all the installation of all files, the Windows Update started working again.

You can then keep all the files for the next time you re-install.

thanks for that, I tried it, but for some reason it just gets stuck and seems to hang when installing, I left it for a few hours and it just seems to hang on the second KB.

I am downloading it again using my computer and see if that will do the job, maybe something got corrupted.

Thanks again.

i think this is MS way of getting people to go to Windows 10

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 19-Sep-16 13:23:52
Print Post

Same for me, 24 hours of 100% CPU with no disk activity when Windows Updates checked for updates on a fresh installation of Vista (for testing purposes within a VM).

This page contained the fix which worked for me: http://wu.krelay.de/en/

The WSUS Offline Update application automatically installs these files too.

Oliver.
Standard User bobble_bob
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-Sep-16 17:02:58
Print Post

Did you disable automatic updates before using WSUS? Apparently manually installing files wont work unless automatic updates is disabled
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to