Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User samulam
(committed) Sun 02-Oct-16 14:11:00
Print Post

computer come on after power cut

[link to this post]

Hi, after a power cut the computer comes on after the power come on again. No problem if the power cut happens when I was using it' Is there a way to stop this from happening.The only remedy now is to unplug the computer if I am on holiday
Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Oct-16 14:14:33
Print Post

Re: computer come on after power cut

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by samulam:
The only remedy now is to unplug the computer if I am on holiday
I always unplug all electrical equipment when going on holiday (except stuff that I want to run).

===============================
Don't blame me - I voted Remain
Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Sun 02-Oct-16 14:56:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by samulam:
Hi, after a power cut the computer comes on after the power come on again. No problem if the power cut happens when I was using it' Is there a way to stop this from happening.The only remedy now is to unplug the computer if I am on holiday

For a lot of computers there used to be a setting in the BIOS that allowed you to specify what happens when power came back on - options were generally on, off or last state. There may be something in the UEFI settings - however I would advise caution as you could change something that breaks the PC

Personally I generally switch the wall socket off for computers - when I am not using them and pull the plug from wall when I am away or expecting thunderstorms

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Oct-16 19:16:25
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

+1

IanD
Standard User rogerfp
(committed) Sun 02-Oct-16 21:08:28
Print Post

Definitely a bios setting that needs disabling. Just do a search on Google for "turn pc on automatically after power outage" I found loads of posts on how to modify the bios setting for this. Normally this is off by default.
Personally, I leave my main computers on 24/7/365 as the biggest stress on electrical components is the surge when you power them on. Think when light bulbs usually blow!
Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Sun 02-Oct-16 21:50:29
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rogerfp:
Personally, I leave my main computers on 24/7/365 as the biggest stress on electrical components is the surge when you power them on. Think when light bulbs usually blow!

I would disagree, while thermal cycling is a potential risk to PCs, most PCs modern should not have an issue with it during its expected life.

There are other risks to PCs life expectancy, e.g. they have fans that can suck in a huge amount of dust, the dust will reduce the thermal cooling efficiency and thus reduce component life. The fans are also mechanical so will wear with usage.

My experience is most trouble comes from cheap PCs and those often fail whether left on 24/7 or not

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
  Print Thread

Jump to