Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Scottish_Pete
(member) Sat 22-Oct-16 17:27:06
Print Post

Disappearing Mouse

[link to this post]

Complete mystery to me this one and can't find a decent solution online.
I am not a computer genius but can find my way around a computer.
This is Windows 10 and Windows 7 with everything up to date. Been working fine from when I last fresh installed the OSs months ago.

Problem is, whilst browsing this morning my mouse just stopped and after good old faithful reboot, it had disappeared. Now I am using a Microsoft Sculpt Comfort Desktop set and have also tried a Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop set with the same result. The mouse is non-existent but the keyboard still works, which I am using now to write this.
Next thing obvious I done was change the batteries, Even though they were only renewed a couple of weeks ago. Still nothing on screen but the laser underneath is on.
Next I tried different USB Ports and rebooted, still no mouse, keyboard fine. Can't be a USB issue as I have put in a USB optical mouse into the same ports and it works fine.
Uninstalled the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center software and tried to rollback driver but none to rollback too.
Been in to the mouse settings and tried some changes. Been into the Device Manager and uninstalled both keyboard and mouse and rebooted. But every time the mouse is non-existent and the keyboard is working.
Even went into the BIOS where the keyboard worked but the mouse wouldn't.

So has anyone had this problem and found a solution to it or have any other possible troubleshooting steps, I am all ears.

Thanks for any advice

Scottish_Pete

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 connected to Local Exchange
TBB SPEEDTEST
MY BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Oct-16 17:56:06
Print Post

Re: Disappearing Mouse

[re: Scottish_Pete] [link to this post]

Do these connect with Bluetooth, I forget? If so, has it accidentally got turned off?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User rogerfp
(committed) Sat 22-Oct-16 21:07:56
Print Post

Does the mouse work on another computer?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Sat 22-Oct-16 21:22:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The Sculpt Comfort Desktop is Bluetooth, which the mouse has an on/off switch next to the laser light.

The Wireless Laser Desktop is not Bluetooth and has no switch.
Technician explaination
The wireless receiver operates using RF technology, eliminating the need for a line of sight connection to between devices that is associated with IR communication. The receiver is keyed specifically to the bundled keyboard and mouse, letting you use multiple wireless keyboard and mice in the same workspace without interference.

Sorry should have said, that was a check I done when it first stopped., made sure it was on.

Thanks

Scottish_Pete

TBB SPEEDTEST
MY BQM
Standard User rogerfp
(committed) Sat 22-Oct-16 21:45:54
Print Post

If I understand correctly the mouse is bluetooth but the keyboard isn't. If that's correct then very few Bios support Bluetooth, so that might explain why it doesn't work in the Bios.
I'm guessing that it's either a Bluetooth setup issue with Windows, but if I understood correctly as you mention Windows 7 and Windows 10 it might be dual boot? If so unlikely in two different OS on the same PC. Or the mouse is faulty. What happened when you plugged into and paired to Bluetooth on another PC, does it work? That will be the only way to test it.
(member) Sat 22-Oct-16 23:16:41
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rogerfp:
Does the mouse work on another computer?

Of all the things I done that was not one of them. smile

Tried the Sculpt Comfort it in the laptop, nothing from the mouse but keyboard worked. Loaded the drivers still the same.
So I plugged the Laser Desktop into the laptop started it up, after logging in the Laser mouse started working after little bit of time, may have been loading drivers. So plugged the Laser Desktop back into the desktop computer and this is all working fine again. Tried the Sculpt Comfort mouse back in the desktop and nothing.

So after that experiment I am have come to the conclusion that the mouse is faulty and now I have to try and remember where I bought it and when.

Thanks for the kick in the right direction rogerfp.

Scottish_Pete

TBB SPEEDTEST
MY BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 22-Oct-16 23:24:57
Print Post

A daft thought. Have you thought of cleaning every antenna/"eye"/receiver and so on? Or have I just enjoyed my dinner too much? wink

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 57825/13835kbps @ 600m. - BQM
Standard User rogerfp
(committed) Sat 22-Oct-16 23:26:50
Print Post

Pleased you have found an answer to the problem.
  Print Thread

Jump to