Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Thu 03-Nov-16 16:02:52
Print Post

Failed to install Update KB 3197954 for W10 Version 1607 !

[link to this post]

One of my PCs at home (totally TWO desktops and two laptops) has been failing to install "Cumulative Update for W10 Version 1607, i.e. KB3197954, REPEATEDLY over several days now. It would complete the download of KB3197954 and then rebooted the PC trying to complete the installation! It then followed by a prompt that KB3197954 on the desktop that the update failed. This is happening on W10's "Update & Security" Menu. I was trying to "uninstall" it and started from fresh, but couldn't find the associated file and HOW to do it.. However it did install previous Update for W10 Vers 1607, i.e. KB3199986, successfully though!
So my question is:
1) Failing to install this KB3197954, the probable reasons??
2) Would it BLOCK me from having any furthr new W10 Updates install?
2) Is this KB3197954 essential and MUST be installed for stability and security reasons etc ? If YES, how to do it in my case??

Otherwise my PC currently is functioning Normally and this is hard to judge!!!

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows 7 Pro !
Current ISP: Plusnet FTTC
Standard User philippercival
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Nov-16 17:52:10
Print Post

Re: Failed to install Update KB 3197954 for W10 Version 1607

[re: OCdragon] [link to this post]

A quick serach revealed this page

The critical bit seems to be
-----------------------------------------
What did work for me:

- downloaded a 1607 iso image

- Right-click -> mount

- On the mounted volume run setup

- Run an upgrade installation (keeping your files settings) and when asked, let it download the updates before starting the installation.

- After it's finished, let Windows update run again. It won't find so many as most of them are already installed by the setup.
5 people found this helpful
----------------------------------------------------

The ISO images are available from here

edit:
The update is I think the anniversary edition of windows 10, so it probably important. In my case it definitely slowed down the startup and improved the startup menu.

Edited by philippercival (Thu 03-Nov-16 17:54:59)

Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Sat 05-Nov-16 21:42:13
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

Thank you for your LINK provided. I have tried the following actions but still have installation problem for KB3197954:

1) making sure that I uninstalled " my 3rd party AV--Avast" from the program Feature and rebooted., Then Windows Defender is already auto-reactivated after rebooting. I updated its Definition File as well.

2) Downloaded the complete off-line version of 32-bits KB3197954 (as my problemtic PC required that) from the MS Link provided and rebooted again.

3) Did Virus-Checks with Defender and Malwarebytes respectively. Then double-clicks on that dowmloaded 32-bits KB****954 file, letting it to show "Window Update Standalone Installer" activated. Then it droped a "bomb-shell" that the Update for Windows(KB31979954) is already installed on this computer and closed. Obviously the installer has found the previous traces of the FAILED version of KB3197954 in my PC.

What I should do then!!! It sounds like logically I would need to "cleaned-up" my PC to get rid off ALL related traces of the previous KB*****954 files/codes BEFORE this off-line installer can be run, I'm so frustrated!! I have even gone to "Install History" just to find out that NO record of the KB3197954 has ever been recorded there. Then HOW I could remove/uninstall the KB****954 file?

Because I'm not the only one. Hopefully MS would respond to this KB3197954 " installation by issuing a SW Fix to it soon!

Intel E4300 OC with 2GB RAMs,Speedtouch 585 Modem/Router and Windows 7 Pro !
Current ISP: Plusnet FTTC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User OCdragon
(experienced) Sat 05-Nov-16 21:46:19
Print Post

Re: Failed to install Update KB 3197954 for W10 Version 1607 *DELETED*

Post deleted by OCdragon
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Nov-16 19:49:02
Print Post

+1 for me, updated a virtual machine that just would not upgrade using this method.

IanD
  Print Thread

Jump to