Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Fri 30-Dec-16 21:55:15
Print Post

Skype issue

[link to this post]

Not a huge one, but here goes. Basically, when I try to audio on Skype with my in-ear headphones with a built in mic, it doesn't seem to pick up my voice very well. I think it's because my headphones have a built in mic to them, is there a way to switch it over the mic built into the laptop.

Many thanks in advance.
Standard User petsy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Dec-16 22:51:50
Print Post

Re: Skype issue

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

in skype under tools>options>audio you should be able to choose the skype input mic you want to use.
Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Fri 30-Dec-16 23:44:42
Print Post

[re: petsy] [link to this post]

Just the one selection it seems (which is the standard laptop mic). It works ok on headphones without a built in mic.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User longedge
(committed) Sat 31-Dec-16 10:04:06
Print Post

If you look at the Windows Sounds controls on the 'Recording' tab what devices do you see available when the headphone microphone is plugged in? Perhaps changing the default there would work.

I wonder, if you want to use the headphones but not their microphone, can't you just leave the microphone unplugged?

Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Sat 31-Dec-16 14:08:58
Print Post

[re: longedge] [link to this post]

I believe it's a combined mic and headphone port. There is definitely only one port on the laptop.
Standard User longedge
(committed) Sat 31-Dec-16 15:43:44
Print Post

Ahh.. so your laptop and headset have single TRRS jack and socket. Have you explored the WIndows Record settings to see if there is a 'Boost Mic' option somewhere?

Print Thread

Jump to