Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 11:15:10
Print Post

Windows 10 eating up more and more SSD space

[link to this post]

I have a 250gb Samsung SSD as main hard drive on Windows 10. And as my post suggests. I seem to be not getting storage space back in more than one way.
I will explain. If i watch videos say VOD not live videos on twitch.tv it saves them in the cache. they can grow to over 4gb etc. I delete cache in firefox or windows cleanup it claims the space is back. However when i look at SSD space the space i lost is still gone!

2nd way

Windows updates. After they update space is used and if i use disc cleanup again it acts perfect says it will remove say even up to 3TB or more of space from old update files. I run it reboot like it says and the SSD again will show it has not gained any more space. I am down from 232GB total free space to 154gb already and owned this PC for only a few months. At this rate the SSD will run out of space before the end of the year simply with Windows 10 updates and Firefox cache not clearing.

what is going on?
Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 04-Mar-17 12:00:46
Print Post

Re: Windows 10 eating up more and more SSD space

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

Is it TRIM? http://www.windowscentral.com/how-ensure-trim-enable...
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 12:04:47
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Is it TRIM? http://www.windowscentral.com/how-ensure-trim-enable...

Yes checked that.

Edit: I mean already checked it, it is not trim it shows as enabled.

Edited by blackmesa8 (Sat 04-Mar-17 12:05:19)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 12:10:21
Print Post

Just re checked and got this.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0
ReFS DisableDeleteNotify is not currently set

What is the ReFS thing?

Edit: OK so i looked into ReFS its a new file system and its not turned on for that. So then i went to my SSD to see what file system it is using. It is using NTFS so i guess TRIM is indeed active. Odd thing tho i did that test some time ago and ReFS was never mentioned in the results.

Edited by blackmesa8 (Sat 04-Mar-17 12:18:27)

Standard User BatBoy
(sensei) Sat 04-Mar-17 12:23:38
Print Post

Is your disk SATA or SCSI?
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 12:27:45
Print Post

Just a standard SSD connected to motherboard Sata port 0 so first one. Sata port 1 is 2nd drive a normal 3TB hard drive and sata port 2 is connected to a DVD writer disc drive.
Nothing fancy going on here. It's been doing it since i got it tho. There was a odd occurrence earlier this year when it suddenly on its own gave me back 8TB or more without me taking any action.

I have a feeling my OS install is messed up and i may need to reinstall. I really don't want to do this tho, takes so long to get all my programs and files back.

Edited by blackmesa8 (Sat 04-Mar-17 12:28:26)

Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 12:57:42
Print Post

SCSI is also when using raid isn't it? If so also no it is a simple normal setup. One single OS drive the SSD.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 13:01:34
Print Post

OK i just had an idea. Could this be in anyway a sign of SSD failure. While my SSD may be relativily new since day one i have had this deletion issue but there is also more. I have noticed this SSD to be rather slow for a SSD.
Most certainly it has been the slowest one in the house despite its specs being higher than 2 of the other 3. Also it should be fast because it is in a i7 weird thing however a much slower older i5 with a much slower SSD loads a lot of programs like Firefox faster than the 6th gen i7 with a 4 year newer SSD.

May i have a faulty SSD on my hands here?

Edited by blackmesa8 (Sat 04-Mar-17 13:05:20)

Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 13:51:28
Print Post

OK so two tools i have used are saying my SSD is fine, not only that it is scoring above its specs somehow in 3rd party benchmark. However i have noticed something bad. Trim is enabled on my normal Toshiba 3TB hard drive. Is that bad for a hard drive? If it is how do i change it?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Mar-17 14:00:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by blackmesa8:
Just a standard SSD connected to motherboard Sata port 0 so first one. Sata port 1 is 2nd drive a normal 3TB hard drive and sata port 2 is connected to a DVD writer disc drive.
From your OP, "... if i use disc cleanup again it acts perfect says it will remove say even up to 3TB or more of space from old update files. I run it reboot like it says and the SSD again will show it has not gained any more space".

So where is disc cleanup offering to find 3TB? Or did you mean 3GB on the SSD? Are you sure it is even looking at it?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to