Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 14:20:14
Print Post

Re: Windows 10 eating up more and more SSD space

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by blackmesa8:
Just a standard SSD connected to motherboard Sata port 0 so first one. Sata port 1 is 2nd drive a normal 3TB hard drive and sata port 2 is connected to a DVD writer disc drive.
From your OP, "... if i use disc cleanup again it acts perfect says it will remove say even up to 3TB or more of space from old update files. I run it reboot like it says and the SSD again will show it has not gained any more space".

So where is disc cleanup offering to find 3TB? Or did you mean 3GB on the SSD? Are you sure it is even looking at it?

This is what happened today and it has happened before.

Disc clean up says internet cache right after using Firefox for VOD it increased to 3GB or so so i cleared cache in firefox the browser i was using. Went back to disc cleanup without making it clean up in first place it still said that was there to regain so i let disc clean up do it. Then it vanished from disc cleanup as if it had worked.

Then i opened my computer and instead of having 3GB or so of space free it was identical remaining space on SSD. There are only two drives i know which the SSD is. Has the Windows logo on it since its the OS drive.

Tried rebooting re looked in my computer at remaining space. No change.

Then i did that further disc clean up where you see the old windows update files and such. It claimed i could regain over 4TB of space! so i was like OK tried it, it ran for about 10mins windows modules installer that always takes ages on any PC kicked in during that cleanup. I let it finish and restarted. Of coarse you can guess the OS SSD only SSD in the PC had the EXACT amount of remaining space as it did before any of this still.

I am at a loss here. Two SSD test programs say its health is perfect also it is over performing in the tests when you compare its read/write speeds to its specs. so there doesn't seem to be hard ware failure. Only thing them tests showed me was my 2nd drive a normal hard drive had trim enabled too.

Edit: Since my SSD is showing as OK and if i download a 1gb file i lose 1gb if i delete it from desktop i regain 1gb i am guessing my issue is with Windows. Or more directly updates caches and its disc clean up tool most of all not working. It seems to me this may well be a very annoying Windows 10 bug that has somehow kicked in and i might have to reinstall.

PS i have anti virus did a full scan. Then did two scans from manual anti virus/ malware tools. Nothing bad was found.

Edited by blackmesa8 (Sat 04-Mar-17 14:46:55)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Mar-17 14:48:32
Print Post

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

You started with talking about disc cleanup saying it could recover 3TB, and this time you say it reported it could regain 4TB.

????????

In neither case is it finding them on the SSD. There isn't even that amount available on your hard disc.

It is hard to know what the problem is, but it doesn't sound like the SSD.

Edit: Is this cache in RAM perhaps?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 04-Mar-17 14:49:29)

Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 15:01:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok i worked out my error at very beginning i said 3gb and 4TB its always been 3gb and 4gb and i carried on making that typo like a dumb ass. That is what has been confusing everyone. When i get upset due to a type of Autism i can get stressed and make really silly mistakes. Once when a friend was in hospital i was freaking out so bad i dropped a bottle of Cobra beer due to not paying attention making it smash at till at Tesco. I then further freaked out ran away got arrested then released due to my condition with no warning or anything.

Typing weird is completely in my character when i am stressed, This PC is very powerful and important to me. It is my main rig i even use it for work. 6th gen i7 16gb of higher end ddr4 ram and a nvidia GTX 1070.

I have no idea why Windows cleanup doesn't seem to be working so any space i lose due to updates or it also seems via firefoxs cache which is really bad is unrecoverable. So it is going to run out of space and become useless soon if i don't find a fix or reinstall Windows which with the amount of software and games and programs to reinstall will probably take me 2 days to do fully.

Edit: I just noticed something interesting i lost 1gb by watching VOD and this time i went to the firefox cache folder directly and emptied it manually and got it back! So...this seems to be clearly pointing towards Windows disc cleanup. However that doesn't explain why firefox's own cache delete system doesn't work either. Does firefox's cache delete system use Windows disc clean up to do the work for it?

Edited by blackmesa8 (Sat 04-Mar-17 15:09:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Mar-17 15:15:41
Print Post

Disk cleanup often reports 3tb to clean up but this is a bug introduced in the system recently which needs fixing.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 15:18:23
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

LOL so i may not have gone mad and actually seen that. But still doesn't explain why it doesn't ever let me regain an space at all.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Mar-17 15:33:34
Print Post

Its possible that disk cleanup is also broken if its reporting 3tb eg it doesn't know what to cleanup!

Ive just run it but haven't verified the results. Seemed to work ok on 64 bit Win 10 Pro.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 15:37:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by Banger:
Its possible that disk cleanup is also broken if its reporting 3tb eg it doesn't know what to cleanup!

Ive just run it but haven't verified the results. Seemed to work ok on 64 bit Win 10 Pro.

That is what i am thinking.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 15:55:00
Print Post

Is there a log somewhere on windows 10 that displays the amount of storage space you used in the past?
If i could see the exact capacity i had available or used on my SSD over past 2 months it would help me diagnose hugely.
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 16:56:10
Print Post

Ok guys i am not liking Windows 10. I turned it off for quite a long while went to shop came back turned it back on. Then i decided to try disc cleanup again there was nothing to cleanup since my attempts earlier made it think that. I still ran it however and.... I've got about 5gb of space back also i downloaded 144mb of VOD via Firefox then told Firefox to clear its cache and it worked!

So it fixed itself?

Edit: Accept for that discovery that Trim is turned on for my Hard drive as well as my SSD when i checked if trim was active.

Edited by blackmesa8 (Sat 04-Mar-17 17:01:19)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 04-Mar-17 17:02:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by blackmesa8:
Is there a log somewhere on windows 10 that displays the amount of storage space you used in the past?
If i could see the exact capacity i had available or used on my SSD over past 2 months it would help me diagnose hugely.
Find File Explorer, which may be in the popup if you right-click on the Windows icon at the left of the tray. In "This PC" you will see OS (C:). Right click that and click Properties.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65258/14193Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to