Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 17:12:58
Print Post

Re: Windows 10 eating up more and more SSD space

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by blackmesa8:
Is there a log somewhere on windows 10 that displays the amount of storage space you used in the past?
If i could see the exact capacity i had available or used on my SSD over past 2 months it would help me diagnose hugely.
Find File Explorer, which may be in the popup if you right-click on the Windows icon at the left of the tray. In "This PC" you will see OS (C:). Right click that and click Properties.

That is what i am doing to see the space remaining and info on my SSD as well now as Samsung magician SSD software program i installed for testing along with another. I don't know where in the properties it shows the past history like a log tho.

However apart from the Trim being enabled on a hard drive it seems to have fixed itself. I will wait till Windows does more updates make sure there fully installed a few days later try disc cleanup again and see if i regain what space it claims ill get. I will also be keeping an eye on the Firefox cache folder which seems to sometimes get the same issue.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Mar-17 18:49:27
Print Post

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

My windows partition is taking 88gb up but I made it 250gb out of a 500gb SSD, still a lot.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Edited by Banger (Sat 04-Mar-17 18:51:17)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Mar-17 19:25:11
Print Post

[re: blackmesa8] [link to this post]

Accept for that discovery that Trim is turned on for my Hard drive as well as my SSD when i checked if trim was active.
How do you know that?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Mar-17 20:00:41
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Discovered I have a folder called RecoveryImage within which is a folder called Drivers taking up about 25gb of space. blush

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Mar-17 21:06:06
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Accept for that discovery that Trim is turned on for my Hard drive as well as my SSD when i checked if trim was active.
How do you know that?

While i was checking my SSD for problems the Samsung SSD software picked up my hard drive and showed its information too. It can even benchmark the hard drive. It was in the information about my hard drive that it said "trim enabled"
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Mar-17 18:08:25
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I have discovered the exact cause. It was never Windows update! It was Firefox. When i watch not live but VOD pre recorded videos from twitch.tv in Firefox i lose space at rapid speed, the speed its downloading it from twitch.tv for me to watch. If i clear Firefox's cache it claims it recovers 350mb or around that of space back but by the time it says that i have already lost over 1gb!

I downloaded Google Chrome and it has stopped happening. So this is a Twitch.tv at least website issue with Firefox Google Chrome has fixed it. However i estimate i have permanently lost due to Firefox up to 6-8gb of space that i can never reclaim.

Firefox memory leak?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to