Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Mar-17 22:18:46
Print Post

Next major update to Win 10

[link to this post]

Anyone know when the next major update to Win 10 is due. Sick of edge saying there is a problem with facebook checking for solutions. Firefox aint much better and chrome crashes when you try to enable high contrast dark mode.

Tim
www.xilo.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg LLU
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 10-Mar-17 23:05:12
Print Post

Re: Next major update to Win 10

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

I scrapped Edge after trying it for a couple of days. Went back to IE11.

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65702/13958Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Mar-17 23:35:40
Print Post

Just push Edge over the edge!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Mar-17 23:36:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I would do that but no adblock for IE and that is a main attack vector.

Tim
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Mar-17 01:04:08
Print Post

Google says April hope they fix edge.

Tim
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Mar-17 05:23:26
Print Post

What IS do you run?

Kindness isn't going to cure the world of all its awfulness but it's a good place to begin. Daisy Ridley.
My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 65702/13958Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 11-Mar-17 15:07:01
Print Post

Do you mean "so called" IS?

Was Eclipse Home Option 1, VM 2Mb & O2 Standard
Now Utility Warehouse (up to 16mbps) via Talk Talk
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Mar-17 17:25:49
Print Post

Why are you having so many problems? i have been running windows 10 now for nearly 2 weeks, yes it is a record for me, it normally lasts two days.

No problem with browsers, I use cent browse, is this high contrast dark mode a hidden feature?
As for the next major version, I heard it will be in May that it is released.

I expect I will be back with windows 8.1 by then unless i have updated the computer, then I will have to see if windows 8.1 works with the new Ryzen

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Mar-17 17:45:41
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Dark mode is high contrast theme enabled in themes and also edge has it too with firefox as well but ff does not display pages correctly. Essentially it is black web pages and applications to reduce eyestrain. eg Facebook is white on black instead of black on white which I find considerably easier on the eyes.

Never heard of cent browser but suspect it may not have a dark theme.

Tim
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 11-Mar-17 21:59:38
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

??

A joke? Or genuinely not knowing what I mean? smile

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Mar-17 22:46:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by Banger:
Dark mode is high contrast theme enabled in themes and also edge has it too with firefox as well but ff does not display pages correctly. Essentially it is black web pages and applications to reduce eyestrain. eg Facebook is white on black instead of black on white which I find considerably easier on the eyes.

I see.

Never heard of cent browser but suspect it may not have a dark theme.

Cent is a browser based on Chrome,

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 13-Mar-17 23:03:25
Print Post

Oh right I tried Chrome and enabled the dark them on that and it crashed and every time I started it with dark theme enabled it crashed and some of the buttons didn't look right on chrome with dark theme.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Mar-17 23:26:52
Print Post

Think Edge maybe fixed had no problems tonight after the March update. Fingers crossed.

Tim
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Mar-17 10:37:34
Print Post

Think Edge maybe fixed had no problems tonight after the March update. Fingers crossed.

I hate Edge, tried it for a while, but just something about it that I do not like, apart from some of the extensions I use is not available on it.

i think it is because it have the same UI as universal apps and the URL bar is in a stupid place.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Mar-17 14:28:30
Print Post

Spoke too soon just stalled, ahh.

Tim
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Mar-17 23:43:49
Print Post

Trying Cent but there isnt a dark theme and it doesnt insert apostrophes like Edge but other than that I will probably keep it as a backup browser for facebook when Edge is being a pain haha. There is high contrast mode but it turns this pages background white which is a shame. Will keep playing see if I can customize it to my liking. It is fast though.

Tim
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Mar-17 00:29:28
Print Post

Liking Cent, getting used to it and once I discovered some of the chrome themes like the dark theme work with it, it's starting to grow on me. laugh I have also discovered Grammarly which helped me correct this paragraph.

Tim
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Mar-17 11:36:42
Print Post

Trying Cent but there isnt a dark theme and it doesnt insert apostrophes like Edge but other than that I will probably keep it as a backup browser for facebook when Edge is being a pain haha. There is high contrast mode but it turns this pages background white which is a shame. Will keep playing see if I can customize it to my liking. It is fast though.

Insert apostrophes?

It is fast, I used to use comodo Dragon, which is again based on Chrome, but I had a few problems and I saw cent mentioned on a forum, so I tried it and liked it.

I am thinking of going back to Windows 8.1 anyway, the only problem is if I update this computer to Ryzen, will it work, because I really do not like Windows 10, too much spying and too much MS control,.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Mar-17 16:18:04
Print Post

Good luck with the Ryzen and 8.1 it may or may not work. Are you doing a clean install or from an image, what about Windows authentication, does changing a CPU and I presume motherboard invalidate activation?

Tim
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Mar-17 17:25:58
Print Post

Good luck with the Ryzen and 8.1 it may or may not work. Are you doing a clean install or from an image, what about Windows authentication, does changing a CPU and I presume motherboard invalidate activation?

Just posted a post in hardware issues , MS is blocking updates on the older operating systems if they are running on the new gen of processors.

I have a retail version of 7 pro, and updated that to 8 pro, and in turn to 10, so my version of Windows 10 is retail, so I can activate it on any computer as long as it is deactivated on the other machine.

Not sure what I will do, i do no really want to do a clean install as the amount of plug ins I have for my video editing software is a pain to reinstall,, even if I have changed to using different software most of the time, I still need Vegas installed.
i could just try and boot up with the drive as it is on the new system, or make an image and use that.

I am using 10 at the moment, but to be honest, it annoys me, so I think I will go back to 8.

not sure when i am updating, I am thinking of doing it when my next week off work comes up, which i think is next month.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 16-Mar-17 20:18:14
Print Post

One thing for sure Cent uses a lot less memory than Edge with 4 tabs open and there is even the option to purge memory at user-set interval.

Tim
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 17-Mar-17 11:50:01
Print Post

8.1 seems to be treated as the new vista.

ryzen drivers have been released by AMD for windows 7 and 10 but not 8.1. Noone has even bothered trying the drivers to see if they work on 8.1.

Media outlets with news stories etc. continue to pretend windows 10 is the only version of windows.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 17-Mar-17 11:51:03
Print Post

never heard of cent until your post, looks interesting.

Sky Fibre Pro BQM - IPv4 BQM - IPv6
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Mar-17 14:49:11
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Don't thank me thank Adrian it's his baby.

Tim
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Fri 17-Mar-17 15:07:54
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I've noticed that on the Asus website the only drivers for my new mobo (Asus Prime X370-Pro) are for Windows 7 & 10.

8.1 does seem to be a strange omission.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Mar-17 15:41:44
Print Post

[re: IanBB] [link to this post]

Will the 10 drivers not work on 8.1?

Tim
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-Mar-17 22:08:39
Print Post

New Update begins rolling out 11th April.

Tim
Asus DSL-N55U and TP-Link WD9970 on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14906...
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Fri 31-Mar-17 22:16:46
Print Post

You can get it just now via the Insider Preview program.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Apr-17 00:17:27
Print Post

Manual installation available April 5, think I will wait. laugh

Tim
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14906...
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Apr-17 04:44:06
Print Post

I couldn't wait so got the ISO LOL and did an upgrade.

Tim
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14910...

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Apr-17 08:58:50
Print Post

Manual installation available April 5, think I will wait. laugh

You can do it now, I stuck it on a couple of days back just to be nosy, still got it on now.
My problem is that I am looking at updating my computer in the next few months, going for a Ryzen and by all accounts MS will not support windows 8.1 or 7 on the new processors, so I may not have any choice but to go to Windows 10.
so I will have a look and see how much of the spying stuff i can knock out.
I will go back to windows 8.1 in the week until I update.

Anyway, there is nothing really to get excited about, the 3D paint is just a gimmick, it is a bit of fun for a while. The start menu is more or less the same, you can now have folders on the start menu tile section, so if you like the start menu that is pretty good, so say you can have all your music software in one place. there is the new gaming section that is suppose to put all resources to games, but i only play a few games and have not tried it out.

Cortana is even more in your face, but easy enough to shut up but still running int he background, which is one thing that will go again.
You can use Cortana to set up windows 10 on installing, but only from a clean install, I had a muck around with it as i done a clean install, but I had to slipstream my sound card drivers in to the ISO. I am amazed it worked, I thought Windows 10 would have knocked them straight out.

The cortana set up is not that great, you still have to partition the drive as normal by hand and it is only stuff like setting up an account and allowing cortana permission to use your data that uses voice commands.

More rubbish is installed, that is not needed and yet again, lots of apps that can not be uninstalled by normal means.

Oh yes the telemetry is now basic or full, no in between and still no, I do not want MS spying on me option.

That is it really.
Plenty of videos on you tube about it if you want a look, like here.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Apr-17 08:59:54
Print Post

I couldn't wait so got the ISO LOL and did an upgrade.

so I wrote that post above for nothing, my fault I should have read your second post.

so what do you think?

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Apr-17 12:40:30
Print Post

Not much changed, I am hoping edge is fixed with facebook, time will tell and extensive testing needed. I never bother with Cortana so never really noticed any different. I enabled Cortana in the setup, have to see how intrusive it is.

Youre right about 3d paint, pretty much a gimmick and occupied me for about 10 mins, someone more creative may appreciate it.

At last they seem to have fixed the mail bugs. Mail previously was not popping up in action centre for me but that now seems fixed as I hate missing an email.

I saw a couple of reviews online saying it was the smallest major update. I do like the new Defender with network monitor all in one package, although trying to update definitions gave me several consecutive errors. I think it worked eventually.

I am just glad they seem to have fixed some of the bugs, I left enough feedback and at one point my mail wouldn't synchronise at all in the old version after an update.

It can only get better if you find any more new features let me know as the new Defender wasn't advertised.

Tim

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Apr-17 14:52:10
Print Post

Found a couple of bugs and a fix.

Dial Up Networking is now broken keeps saying modem is busy, worked in previous build.

Mouse scroll lines setting keeps resetting to 3 after a reboot when set to 10, still not fixed.

Fax now works again, didn't work in last build, still looking.

Tim

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Apr-17 22:05:11
Print Post

Found a major problem with Edge, it has a massive memory leak and if you leave it over night it takes up all your memory and everything becomes very slow. I have a monitor for RAM and currently its showing 64% RAM used with just edge open and 9 tabs open.

Have reported it on the Feedback hub as have many others at one stage edge was using 3gb memory until I restarted it. Not good enough MS.

Trouble is edge doesn't get updated until a new build which is quite a way down the road and IE now has the same leak according to Feedback hub.

Fortunately you can pin tabs permanently and set Edge to open previous tabs when opened so re-starting edge to free memory is not a bind as long as you don't leave it running overnight. laugh

Tim

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Apr-17 19:50:40
Print Post

Media Creation Tool is now serving the Creators Update, Build 15063.

Tim

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Apr-17 18:48:02
Print Post

Found a major problem with Edge, it has a massive memory leak and if you leave it over night it takes up all your memory and everything becomes very slow. I have a monitor for RAM and currently its showing 64% RAM used with just edge open and 9 tabs open.

Have reported it on the Feedback hub as have many others at one stage edge was using 3gb memory until I restarted it. Not good enough MS.

Trouble is edge doesn't get updated until a new build which is quite a way down the road and IE now has the same leak according to Feedback hub.

Fortunately you can pin tabs permanently and set Edge to open previous tabs when opened so re-starting edge to free memory is not a bind as long as you don't leave it running overnight. laugh

Might be fixed with April update, saying might as its still heavy on memory but seems to be a bit more conservative with it.

Tim
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Apr-17 20:36:00
Print Post

I've gone back to 8.1 now, i was going to do so at the weekend anyway, just wanted to be nosy with windows 10 CU edition, but the fact that my normal security suite do not work correctly on CU edition have forced me to change back to windows 8 early.

I am not sure what I will do when I update this machine which will be around the middle of June I think as according to what I have read MS will not support the next gen CPUs on older versions of windows. But there are people that are running Windows 7 on Kaby lake and Ryzen, but MS will not allow them to download updates even updates older updates that have nothing to do with the CPU.
We all know it is to try and force people onto Windows 10, but it could be dangerous as it could leave a lot of people at risk if there is no security updates.

Saying that I know people who still use XP on the net with no problem at all.

anyway we will have to see what happens when I update.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Apr-17 21:40:23
Print Post

I still use XP on my 1998 laptop with SSD but AMD K-III processor, its ok for accessing my modem and just light browsing. It has wireless PCMIA card and connects ok to my wifi but don't use it that often.

Tim
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Wed 12-Apr-17 22:58:25
Print Post

I've got a Ryzen processor and Windows Update is still running fine on my Windows 7 partition.

Apparently the updates for it should have stopped by now...
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Apr-17 23:55:05
Print Post

I saw a mention of this in the Latest Bulletin from MS this month, something about processor generation detection so maybe it has just started.

Tim
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-May-17 19:51:17
Print Post

I still use XP on my 1998 laptop with SSD but AMD K-III processor, its ok for accessing my modem and just light browsing. It has wireless PCMIA card and connects ok to my wifi but don't use it that often.

i have an old Acer laptop that have Manjaro on it, but I hardly use it, I am not a fan of laptops to be honest.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 09-May-17 19:52:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by IanBB:
I've got a Ryzen processor and Windows Update is still running fine on my Windows 7 partition.

Apparently the updates for it should have stopped by now...

Very strange,

Windows 10 would have been ok if it allowed people to change stuff.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to