Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Apr-17 20:57:22
Print Post

MS word

[link to this post]

A friend of mine need Microsoft word, but it is a stupid price, over £100 to get as a stand alone and that is only available as a download. Ms seems to want people to buy the whole office suite and then only as a download or a subscription.

There was a time where word was available on a CD/DVD, i know the older 2010 version is available on ebay,. but I am not sure if i would trust them to be legal

It seems silly that Ms charges so much for word and yet office itself is cheaper, but offers stuff that is not required.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User Kenneth
(legend) Wed 12-Apr-17 22:09:57
Print Post

Re: MS word

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

definitely needs Word? - or would a Libre Office do, still whole office package but at least cheaper.

MS what to sell you a subscription - it is unfortunately the way the software world is moving

Ken

Nostalgia is memory with the pain removed
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Apr-17 23:06:05
Print Post

[re: Kenneth] [link to this post]

I would second the suggestion of LibreOffice, not only does it have a competent word processor, it can also load and save in the .doc and .docx formats that Word usually uses.

LibreOffice really need to improve their update mechanism though. Every time a major or minor update is available, it is necessary to visit the LibreOffice website and download the entire .exe (211 MB). Not especially user friendly compared to MS Office which performs incremental updates in the background.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Apr-17 08:49:27
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Tried libre office, the documents do not format correctly, even tried WPS, it was better but not perfect, so word is required.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User David_W
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Apr-17 09:50:48
Print Post

The software industry seems to be heading towards subscription models, which have the advantage of allowing ongoing incremental upgrades rather than big 'point' upgrades. Of course, a subscription model ensures ongoing revenue for the software company, not least because your data is tied in to a product that you do not own.

You can buy 'point in time' lifetime editions of various Office components as well as Office suites, but they do not include the ongoing incremental upgrades - just security and some bug fixes. Adobe makes this explicit on those products they still sell lifetime licenses for: there is a continuous track for subscription customers that includes ongoing improvements and a classic track for lifetime licence customers that contains only security and bug fixes. Microsoft use the same approach but are less explicit about it: Word in Office 365 has improvements that Word 2016 bought with a lifetime licence does not.

I'm no fan of subscriptions; I'd rather own the software and know that my data is not beholden to a product that I do not own. However, the move the ongoing improvements in operating systems and the increasingly rapid deprecation of older operating systems means that you need application software that has been updated for the latest operating system version. After several years of holding out with Adobe, I've finally subscribed to Creative Cloud after moving to a new Windows 10 laptop last year. There are numerous issues with my old Creative Suite 6 Master Collection (which was the last lifetime licence version) on Windows 10 x64 and even those bits that can be made to work will not support the high DPI screen on my new laptop (which, in my view, is a huge improvement over a standard DPI screen). Subscribing to Creative Cloud has allowed me to stop purchasing upgrades for Acrobat as a separate product, and there are worthwhile improvements in Acrobat DC continuous as opposed to Acrobat DC classic (though, as Acrobat DC has just got a 2017 version number, there might be a new release of Acrobat DC classic coming - at an upgrade cost, of course). Creative Cloud includes Lightroom, which Creative Suite 6 did not.

I'm holding out on Office, not least because I own Office 2016 Professional, Visio 2016 Professional and Project 2016 Professional. I have a subscription to Office 365 through the university to which I am affiliated, though I am not currently using it and the subscription does not include Visio or Project. At some point I expect I will have to give in and subscribe to Office 365, especially as there is no discount for upgrading Office lifetime licences - you have to buy new versions at full price.

ZeN Unlimited Fibre 2 with native IPv6
thinkbroadband speed test : speedtest.net : thinkbroadband quality monitor IPv4 IPv6
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Fri 14-Apr-17 14:56:15
Print Post

OpenOffice is free. Can save in .doc and can open .doc files.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Apr-17 15:09:01
Print Post

Hard to believe the free/open alternatives can't do what you want as they are pretty good these days.

Have you looked at Microsoft's free online Word: https://office.live.com/start/Word.aspx
Perhaps this will do what you are after?

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Apr-17 20:51:17
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

i do not like this subscription idea myself, for most home users it is just wasted, i can understand people who make money for using the software, like designing with Adobe photoshop subscribing.

i myself did have a look at office 365, but even the lowest price one of just under £60 would not be value money for me, anyway I am ok with Libre office and for publishing I use scribus.

Anyway, my mate seem to have sorted his word thing out, he got a key from amazon for Office 2016 for £20, i was a bit worried as it is very cheap, but it seems to work ok. hhave only installed word, but I tolds him he may as well install it all.

Cheers anyway.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Apr-17 20:52:18
Print Post

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wingco1:
OpenOffice is free. Can save in .doc and can open .doc files.

Openoffice is more or less like Libre office, sadly the same problem applies, it do not keep the format of the document.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Apr-17 20:54:38
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by b4dger:
Hard to believe the free/open alternatives can't do what you want as they are pretty good these days.

will not keep the format of the document, WPS is better, but still not right.
Have you looked at Microsoft's free online Word: https://office.live.com/start/Word.aspx
Perhaps this will do what you are after?

Machine is never connected to the net and he do not like cloudy stuff, but thanks.
Got a version of Office now cheap from amazon, too cheap to be honest, but seems to be ok. He got a key from amazon and i had to download Office for him from MS.

Adrian

Plusnet FTTC
  Print Thread

Jump to