Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User samulam
(committed) Mon 15-May-17 22:51:17
Print Post

windows creator

[link to this post]

Hi, what is "windows creator", is this a new version of win 10, and is it worth updating to?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 15-May-17 23:28:17
Print Post

Re: windows creator

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

It took me a bit to find out the answer.

It's just the annual major update, which for the last couple of years has been called the Anniversary Edition. It was first made available on request, presumably as a sort of large beta test, but is now apparently now being rolled out to all of us but not all in one go that overloads all ISPs.

Why they gave it such an idiotic name, implying it is for a particular type of user, is and probably always will be a mystery.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 64513/13170Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-May-17 23:48:03
Print Post

I updated early to Creators Update, and I have had a crash which was a screen freeze and sound looping. Had to do a hard reset, no dump file as it was a hard reset.

They have broken some things from the last version which they are still trying to correct and haven't fixed bugs from the last version. Edge has a memory leak which I think is a new bug and no idea when it will be fixed.

I would wait until it finds you as they may have fixed a few of the bugs by then.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and TP-Link WD9970 on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Current Sync: 68696/18766

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-May-17 08:48:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

There have been 3 major updates to Windows 10 so far. The first was called "November update" as it was released in November.

The second was called Anniversary as it was released on the one year anniversary.

This is the third major update and MS decided to call it the Creators update.

There is expected to be a second "creators" update by the end of the year.

Updates are not on an annual cycle and I believe MS are generally aiming for 2 updates a year.
Standard User IanBB
(committed) Tue 16-May-17 11:57:57
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Keeping with the logical naming the next version is dubbed 'Fall Creators Update'
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 16-May-17 11:59:15
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Ta smile.

The principal remains though, for the OP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 64513/13170Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6
Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Tue 16-May-17 12:46:09
Print Post

A fairly comprehensive review here which will help you decide whether it is for you.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/201...

==================================
Sovereignty really does mean sovereignty
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 16-May-17 18:12:00
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Banger:
I updated early to Creators Update, and I have had a crash which was a screen freeze and sound looping. Had to do a hard reset, no dump file as it was a hard reset.

They have broken some things from the last version which they are still trying to correct and haven't fixed bugs from the last version. Edge has a memory leak which I think is a new bug and no idea when it will be fixed.

I would wait until it finds you as they may have fixed a few of the bugs by then.

windows 10 creator edition can have some problems. I updated my brothers Linx Tablet with it and the battery died in around 30 mins, how an update can kill the battery I do not know, it also took ages for the computer to switch on.

I just restored it back to the last version of Windows 10 and it is fine now. MS have also said do not install creator editing until it comes up on the updates because of problems.

i did have a nose on here with it and it worked ok, but I now gone back to windows 8.1.
not sure how long i will be able to use 8.1 as I am updating my computer in a couple of weeks or so to a ryzen.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
  Print Thread

Jump to