Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 21-May-17 23:24:41
Print Post

Shudder and shake

[link to this post]

This afternoon a Microsoft message came up out of nowhere saying something like "We are setting up to upgrade your system to Windows Creators Edition, please review and confirm your security settings".

It gave a link to a panel of half a dozen settings or so, but I checked all settings. I found a few things I didn't like that I don't think existed when I upgraded from 8.1 to 10.

I now see that something started downloading at 35-40Mbps eight minutes ago.

Should I be scared LOL?

I did take a full backup to removable disc immediately after changing a few of those settings.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 64513/13170Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 21-May-17 23:25:11)

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-May-17 23:42:56
Print Post

Re: Shudder and shake

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Don't be scared little one, there are a few bugs which MS are racing to fix as we speak, but generally, it is ok, good you have a backup.

Tim
www.uno.net.uk & freenetname
Asus DSL-N55U and TP-Link WD9970 on 80 Meg LLU Fibre
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Current Sync: 70634/18326
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 21-May-17 23:50:25
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

It finished a few minutes ago. Rather than let it start now I've set it for 11am Monday. Bed time now.

Hugs to Dalton smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 64513/13170Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 21-May-17 23:51:42
Print Post

He is already in bed LOL Will have to peel him off my bed to get in. laugh

Tim

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-May-17 15:52:52
Print Post

Well how did the update go?

Tim

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 22-May-17 16:24:32
Print Post

Fine thanks smile.

Twenty-five minutes from start to finish, then a waste of 10-15 minutes looking through the "What's New" stuff. It got as far as I'd covered 27% of what it wanted me to see, then provided no way to see the next 73%. frown

Not encouraging.

I've just discovered something really annoying in Edge. I'm not sure it was like it before the upgrade, in fact I'm fairly sure it wasn't.

If you look at https://www.google.co.uk/finance?q=S+%26+P+500&ei=70... in both IE11 and Edge there is a dramatic difference, with the Edge rendering almost useless. I use three such. The currency rate pages like https://www.dailyfx.com/gbp-usd come out fine.

I did see it says something about needing Flash Player underneath. ... Dammit. Sorted, sort of.

I had clicked the Flash Player link before and nothing seemed to happen. I may have missed a small popup at the top right of the screen saying Flash Player was blocked, (the link is at the bottom left), and giving me the option to use it once or always for the site. Chose "always" and it now displays correctly.

I'd also closed Edge and reopened it for this purpose. The screen with 27% has reappeared along with my "Home Page" tabs and I find that I am expected to click each and every large tile on the "More" page to move it onwards. I've reached 30%.

I assume it will continue until I reach 100%. I am not pleased so far. I just want to do what I am sitting here wanting to do smile. Not read a pile of junk that could be in a small user-guide.

I also, just before I closed it earlier, came to what seemed like a Home Page. Four tiles or so across and literally scrollable down for ages with more. Huge! I don't know how I got to it, it isn't easily found at the moment. No doubt it will get me later wink.

As I've said elsewhere or earlier, I don't like Chrome either, or FireFox which I consider hugely intrusive and I don't trust it. It tries to do too much with too many built-in bells and whistles, never mind all the ones you can add.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-May-17 18:18:08
Print Post

i used creator edition for a week or so and it was ok, but then I disabled a lot of stuff even stuff Ms do not want us to disable and uninstalled a lot of stuff again even stuff MS do not want us to disable.

I did put it on my brothers tablet and it mucked that up, took the battery from full to nothing in an hour and it normally last for hours and the thing took ages to switch on. so I took it back to the older version of 10 and wait until Ms decide it is ok to update.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8.1 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro, laptop by Linux

Plusnet FTTC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 22-May-17 19:05:41
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

This was just the main rollout. I don't think there was any option not to take it.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 22-May-17 19:22:15
Print Post

And another thing!

It's added an "Edge" link right next to the IE11 New Tab button, same size. So you have to be ultra-careful opening a new tab, especially on my touchscreen.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 22-May-17 19:51:01
Print Post

So it has didn't notice that. I stopped using Edge as it has a memory leak which after a lot of scrolling on facebook will become apparent and it will re-load the page.

Tim

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to