Technical Discussion
  >> Windows Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 05-Jun-17 11:54:39
Print Post

Explorer Listings

[link to this post]

Is there an easy way to take file list in Windows Explorer straight into text or document file? For both Win10 and WinXP.

I can do it using a command (CMD) window with Dir > filelist.txt but navigating up and down, especially with long directory names, can be a pain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Jun-17 13:20:16
Print Post

Re: Explorer Listings

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

At the command prompt, navigate to the required directory itself using the cd command. Then do your dir > filelist.txt

filelist.txt is created in that directory.

How you get there using cd if something in the path has a space in its name off-hand I don't know.

Or is the problem getting down to the required directory using cd?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63679/13080Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 05-Jun-17 13:21:34)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 05-Jun-17 13:32:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
How you get there using cd if something in the path has a space in its name off-hand I don't know.

Or is the problem getting down to the required directory using cd?

Spaces are normally fine however the problem navigating to a directory several levels down where the final directory name can be a series of pseudo random characters potentially 40, 50 or 60 characters long and occasionally non-standard characters such as could appear.. Copy and paste can work but not with all non-standard characters, but I was hoping for a nice way in Explorer.

That is the problem ... spaces a

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Jun-17 13:38:46
Print Post

In Windows 10 explorer under the File menu there appears to be an option to open a command prompt - does that allow you to open it from the current folder (that way you can navigate through windows to the folder and then use the command prompt from there to run the dir command)?
Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Jun-17 13:39:50
Print Post

The only way I know to do this without using the command prompt is:

1. Select All (either from the Home menu) or with Ctrl-A.
2. Copy Path (from Home menu).
3. Paste the clipboard into a Notepad document.

This works for Windows 10. I can't help you with XP as I haven't used that for years.

PS. It appears that you can also get the "Copy Path" option in a context menu by shift-right-clicking on the Explorer pane. That's slightly easire than the "Home" menu option.

==================================
Sovereignty really does mean sovereignty

Edited by TinyMongomery (Mon 05-Jun-17 13:52:01)

Standard User TinyMongomery
(knowledge is power) Mon 05-Jun-17 13:43:44
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The problem with using the command prompt is when there are names with spaces. The method that I outlined puts quote marks round the file names, which accounts for that problem. It also gives the full path, including drive letter,so the names are usable from wherever you are in the directory tree.

==================================
Sovereignty really does mean sovereignty
Standard User Mikey2
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Jun-17 13:46:48
Print Post

Maybe not what you are looking for; however, you could open the folder in Firefox, then copy and paste the details into excel (it will paste as a table) then copy the information you need. It will not show you the details of files in a sub folder (only the sub folder name) and these folders would need to opened individually.

Mike
If you have to swallow a frog, try not to think about it. If you have to swallow two frogs, don't swallow the smaller one first.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Jun-17 13:49:37
Print Post

Can't see any way but don't forget to do 'dir /a' to see all files.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 05-Jun-17 13:55:08
Print Post

In a text editor paste
dir >C:\WINDOWS\Temp\file_list.txt
start notepad C:\WINDOWS\Temp\file_list.txt
Save it somewhere as plain text as filelist.bat (Or whatever name you choose as long as the extension is .bat)

In Windows Explorer copy or move the bat file to the required directory/folder and click on it. It will open notepad with a full listing. Which you can then save or play with.

There are options you can play with. For instance
dir /a /b /-p /o:gen >C:\WINDOWS\Temp\file_list.txt
start notepad C:\WINDOWS\Temp\file_list.txt
gives a simple list of names.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk. Domains, site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - AAISP Home::1 80/20. Sync 63679/13080Kbps @ 600m. BQMs - IPv4 & IPv6

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 05-Jun-17 14:05:37)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 05-Jun-17 14:15:00
Print Post

[re: TinyMongomery] [link to this post]

Was looking for the option you mention but didn't notice it on my machine (was because it was using the baby icon sizes rather than the proper big icons for that option). That does look like the best option for Win10 - can't remember it being an option with XP but like others it has been a long time since I last used it.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to